My favorite sticks

I love the Vater Maple Recording w/ a wood tip.
But, I've added a varnish to just where my hands go, and it turns out it feels exactly like the Regal Tip finish which I love the feel of.

Last edited:
- Regal Tip sticks
- Evans heads

..definitely

Vic Firth American Classic 5B. Love the taper, nice feel, good weight, diameter and length are perfect for me. Was given a pair of Ahead 5A's at a trade show. Not bad, still not use to the whole aluminum stick thing, they just seem too light for me. I use them every now and again, but wouldn't buy them. Not a big fan of nylon tips, they tend to make cymbals sound too shrill.

Favorite Drum Stick

First off, do you guys have a favorite drumstick you use? I was using peter erskine sticks for a while, then i just ended up using a ton of cheap defective bulk sticks from random companies, but now im looking for a favorite. Im thinking about giving jojo mayers a try, cause i enjoy his sound. Also does anybody know ( and this might be kind of a ridiculous question) where i can find the science behind a drumstick? i mean they all give a particular sound for a reason and if i understood it, id feel like i could find a favorite a lot easier.

Re: Favorite Drum Stick

VicGrip 5B. It somehow feels lighter than the 55A I was using. Really good grip without being too "sticky". Just gives you that extra bit of control without sacrificing bounce.

1126454_14293_popup.jpg

I bought a pair of Vater 3A Fatbacks a couple days ago, nylon tip, I'm liking it. They feel durable, no chipping tips on my ride, I can tell they're still in my hands and the barrel doesn't look like it just made out with a drunken beaver. I used my roommates SD1 Generals a bit but they were slightly too thick.

ive been using vater 5a's and the vater sessions for a few years now, wouldnt change to anything else.

Funny that you mentioned Jojo Mayer, I was just watching his DVD and he was talking about his sticks and also about the anatomy of the drum stick.

Also I found this on google in like 2 seconds I'm sure there are better ones, but I think this covers it

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/23566751/The-Anatomy-of-a-Drumstick

Other than that I know old sticks are still being sold on ebay because they used to be thinner on the tip and the shaft allowing for a nicer sound on the ride cymbal particularly useful in jazz.

Also, try different sticks when you buy a new cymbal the cymbals sound completely different the way you play it as well as what stick you use.

Vic Firth Buddy Rich model......I use others for various reasons, but NONE of them feel as good in my hands, and I religiously come back to them. Perfect weight and balance.....if you we're forced to use one type of stick for everything you play, these would be my 1st choice. (The biggest complaint is the painted finish....i.e. cymbal marks....for me, its a small price to pay).

http://www.music123.com/Vic-Firth-Buddy-Rich-Signature-Drumsticks-447096-i1139734.Music123?mode=1

I use pearl 7a, love them, there really small, although I do play rock/funk.

Speaking of Buddy Rich sticks - here's his stick he hit me in the chest with...true story...it's a Ludwig model from the early 80's. The story is to long to type right know...

Attachments

• 100_0827.jpeg
    100_0827.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,515

vic firth american classic 7a, first sticks ive owned, and always stuck with them =)

Back