4 inch heads

RaveTZ

I'm building a custom Tubulum thats mounted to a Yamaha digital drum set. I need 4 inch drum heads, but the smallest I can find is 6 inches. Any recommendations on how I can pull this off? Can I cut a drum head and refit it?

Re: 4 inch Drum heads - Can I cut one or make one?

Well, a big part of modern drumheads dictates that they have a hoop (the metal rim around the head) to actually function. You could try simply using a 6" head like a timpani or gong drum (this way), but on this obviously much smaller scale. Short of that, I don't know anyone making 4" heads.

I think it would be a hassle to cut and refit a drumhead. Those come from the factory crimped or glued in aluminum collar.

A few options for you. I have heard of people re-heading a hand drum with an X-ray, apparently they're similar to a drumhead. You could also make one out or rawhide.

You could use a 6" drumhead and just use spacers under the lugs, the bearing edge will be exposed though.

Last option would be to contact Remo and have them make you a 4" drumhead.

First I don't think Remo is going to re-tool to make a few 4 inch drum heads. And are you talking about x-ray film for drum heads? I think they are re-cycled to reclaim the silver and most radiology centers are now doing the digital thing.

First I don't think Remo is going to re-tool to make a few 4 inch drum heads. And are you talking about x-ray film for drum heads? I think they are re-cycled to reclaim the silver and most radiology centers are now doing the digital thing.

From the rep's mouth: http://support.remo.com/remoinc/topics/i_need_to_have_a_custom_head_made_can_you_do_that

There are some restrictions but we are able to custom make pretty much any drumhead size and most film configurations.

Yes, I meant xray film. Read about a guy re-heading a djembe with one.

Just offering solutions you chronic nay-sayer. Shame...

Edit: Why was this posted in the Drummers section???

Back