Rick Marotta

Great player Rick Marotta and definitly one of my favourites. 'Time out of mind' on Gaucho by Steely Dan has to be one of the best grooves...

I agree. Love that drum track ... and each time he plays the signature fills there are slightly different nuances. His line on Peg is legendary - those little hi hat accents ...

Judging by the posts here, it seems not too many here are enthusiastic about him because he's a more subtle and musical drummer than a "drummy" drummer. He played some nice fusion flash on Steve Khan's Some Arrows album but that's not a very well-known disc.

He has 4 pages of credits on allmusic.com

That alone is a testament to his prowess.

To put that in perspective for others;

Steve Jordan has 3 pages of credits... (Jim Keltner, on the other hand, has NINE pages of credits).

Still - Rick Marotta - One of the finest feels out there. no question about it.

Just listened to Hall & Oates' "Had I Known You Better Then" from Abandoned Luncheonette (1973). I really love the way the hi hat cuts through the mix on that tune. The song is nearly 50 years old, but has stood up well. Great playing by Rick Marotta.

Hall & Oates - Had I Known You Better Then (1973) - YouTube

I did some Google searching and this clip seems to be from a Les Paul & Friends tribute concert in 1988. They put the participants here as Eddie, Jan, Tony and Jerry Marotta, Rick's younger brother.

Back