need help with drum rack

boneskeys

I have an 8 piece double bass tama rockstar from like the 80s and I recently bought a pearl 3 sided 503 drum rack, its a beautiful rack but I have a big problem the tom holders from the drumset don't fit into the clamps on the rack, they're a little bit too wide and the clamp won't open any wider. So my question is there a different tom holder that works with tama toms but will also fit inside the clamps on the rack? Or am I pretty much screwed? this is my first time using a drum rack so any help would be greatly appreciated.

First off, get a ruler. You need to know "exactly" what size tube you need/can use. Your Tama tube size is probably 1" ... and the Pearl probably accepts a 7/8", so you probably need to find a Gibraltar tom holder .... that has an L-arm and a 7/8" downtube. Gibraltar makes lots of hardware widgets that make one manufactures stuff work with "someone else's" stuff. In your case, making Tama work with Pearl. It'll look something like this.​

Attachments

• 10286-PB056HEX.jpg
    10286-PB056HEX.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 914
Sure, no problem. I had a Pearl DR-100 rack. And the PC-10 clamps took the 7/8" downtube. I think your rack takes the same diameter, but I'm not 100% sure on that. That's why you want to measure it yourself. And you'll want to measure the L-arm diameter also.Tama uses 10.5 mm L-arms, I think, but being I don't have any 80's Tama hardware laying around, I can't be 100% sure of that, either.​

That is right, the Pearl rack clamps take 7/8" tube. As it happens Yamaha also use 7/8" tube so you can use their brilliant ball lock and heavy duty boom arms in the Pearl clamps.
That's how I married a Yamaha MCA to a Pearl DR1 rack.

There is also a smaller Pearl clamp that takes half inch tube, I'd guess these are for mics and other lighter gadgets.

...Yamaha also use 7/8" tube so you can use their brilliant ball lock and heavy duty boom arms in the Pearl clamps.
That's how I married a Yamaha MCA to a Pearl DR1 rack.

True that. I started out falling in love with the Yamaha hardware, while using a Pearl rack. In the mid-90's. Using Yamaha Omni-Ball tom holders all the way around, with Gauger RIMS fitted with Yamaha tom mounts, I could run virtually any brand drum (Yamaha, Ludwig, Rogers, Slingerland, Tama, Pearl ... even Remo Roto-Toms. The drums came ... the drums went ... I kept the mounting hardware. Still have it ... but now I have a Yamaha hex rack.​

thanks for the suggestions guys hopefully I'll be able to mount my toms on the rack instead of the bass drums soon :)

Back