Video Camera

skreg

Hi all,

I'm looking for a portable camera to record my drumming - videos for my blog. I understand that I will need a complete recording set up to get high quality sounds, but a high quality mic on the camera will be nice for interviews, etc. Also, a high frame rate is needed for slow-motion technique shots.

Any ideas? Examples from different price ranges? I'm open to all thoughts.

-sheldon

Hi all,

I'm looking for a portable camera to record my drumming - videos for my blog. I understand that I will need a complete recording set up to get high quality sounds, but a high quality mic on the camera will be nice for interviews, etc. Also, a high frame rate is needed for slow-motion technique shots.

Any ideas? Examples from different price ranges? I'm open to all thoughts.

-sheldon

Hi Sheldon,

I bought a Kodak Zi8 last year that I use for recording and then reviewing practice sessions (where it is set up in a stationary position) and it's been more than wonderful for my needs. It does 30 fps in 1080p but will do 60fps in 720p.

The built-in microphone is limited but it has an input for an external mic with an onboard microphone level control. I scored a halfway-decent Tascam microphone on a Musician's Friend "Stupid Deal of the Day" (after a mail-in rebate, I actually ending up getting the mic free PLUS an extra ten bucks!), put in a class 10 SDHC card and I'm good to go. I know of others who have had success running a board mix to the input.

I've also used it a bit at family gatherings, my daughter's school performances, etc., and this is where its biggest weakness shows up: when it's moving, there is a significant loss of quality. But mounted or held stationary, it's a gem.

So that's my experience. I know there are newer (and maybe better?) cameras out there so hopefully some others will come along to share experiences with some of those.

Best of luck with your venture--please let us know when your videos are up and running!

+1 for the zi8. It's a little grainy in a poorly lit environment like any other camera but the bottom line is that it's a quality product and it's affordable. What more could you ask for?

Oh, and the external mic input was a clutch move on Kodak's behalf.

Another +1 for the Kodak Zi8. I always use one to record my band and my drumming and it has exceeded all of my expectations.

It does have an auxiliary mic input, but as it turns out the internal mic is pretty amazing. Based on some YouTube reviews I've seen, it seems the best use for that input is a lavalier mic for interviews and such, which is something you're looking to do anyway. So Sheldon, based on your needs I would say that the Zi8 would work perfect for you!

Be sure to check out some YouTube videos of the camera. There are some great reviews as well as just videos that other Zi8 owners have shot.

I ended up getting a Flip HD 8 GB. It records at 60 fps, which I believe is higher than the Kodak model.

The microphone is absolutely terrible. Low light recording is grainy and nasty. But, it only cost $125, so I can't complain much. I can buy a different mic and lens, if I want. But, I think I'll be upgrading soon anyway. Mostly I just needed this in a quick pinch for recording some of my lectures this week.

I'll post some video in a few weeks when I finish my recording setup. I will be getting a better camera in the coming months.

-sheldon

I ended up getting a Flip HD 8 GB. It records at 60 fps, which I believe is higher than the Kodak model.

The microphone is absolutely terrible. Low light recording is grainy and nasty. But, it only cost $125, so I can't complain much. I can buy a different mic and lens, if I want. But, I think I'll be upgrading soon anyway. Mostly I just needed this in a quick pinch for recording some of my lectures this week.

I'll post some video in a few weeks when I finish my recording setup. I will be getting a better camera in the coming months.

-sheldon

I paid $145 for my zi8 and it records at 60fps at 720p and at 30fps at 1080p. But I'm glad you're happy with the Flip, I've heard good things about them. Looking forward to some videos!

Canon FS400 is Good hunting video begins while using pictures your camcorder sees, processes and records.

All of my latest videos were done with the Kodak Zi8. In fact, I will go so far as to say that any HD video camcorder will do, it's how you set-up the video for uploading to YouTube that counts. I only discovered these settings like a month ago and it makes all the difference in the world. Add a couple of work lights you can get from Home Depot for general lighting and you'll be stylin'!

Back