Tama Starclassic Snare Help

Defender

Silver Member
Hey guys, I just picked up a 14X6.5 Starclassic with the breather badge that says "made in Japan" and wrapped with a silver sparkle wrap (was told the color is called "diamond dust"). I'm having trouble finding information on this thing. I'd love to find out how good of a deal I got on it. And I am horrible at looking at wood and telling the difference. I'd love to know if this is Maple, birch or something else.

Can someone perhaps push me in the right direction with a good website? I've been searching google for hours with no luck.

Peace, Defender

Photos would help solve the mystery.

It's either a Starclassic Bubinga EFX (all-bubinga with a wrap) or a Starclassic Performer Birch/Bubinga EFX (bubinga inner plies, birch outer plies). Remove one of the heads and by looking at the ply structure you can tell which one it is.

I don't know what years this model/wrap was offered.

Below is a chart from a 2009 catalog. More catalogs are here.

Attachments

• Covering Chart.jpg
    Covering Chart.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 377
I was hoping it was maybe bubinga too, but as soon as I looked inside I realized that the grain wasn't right for it.. Im not so clear as to the difference in Maple and birch.. But I just can't find this badge in anything but the brass shelled Starclassics.. I will take a couple picks of the grain when I get a chance.

In *general* birch is brighter, maple warmer tones, bubinga lower tones.Looking in the drum, you will only see the innermost ply.

But if this snare sounds good to you, it is no matter what kind of deal it was.
It certainly looks nice.

If you really need to know, the Tama geeks here will find out in about 2 minutes.

I remember Tama had Starclassic Performers like this. All maple or all birch, then the maple was dropped (probably cutting into higher end SCM) and was all birch from 2002 - 2008? when they became birch/bubinga. Best guesstimate.

I've taken some pics, mostly because I just realized the pics I posted are not of the drum I have. The lug spacing was way to small and the badge is more bronze. Anyway, are we still sure it's the Birch model?

Attachments

• Starclassic Badge.jpg
    Starclassic Badge.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 290
  • Starclassic Diamond Dust Wrap.jpg
    Starclassic Diamond Dust Wrap.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 291
  • Starclassic inner wood.jpg
    Starclassic inner wood.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 286
Noughties=00s
The badge, finish, and the voices in my head are telling me this.

From all the things I've looked at, my best guess so far is an 07 or 08, Starclassic Birch EFX 14 x 6.5

P.S. The other forums that someone above suggested I go to still havent replied to a post from 2 days ago. I guess their not quite as fast as my friends here on DRUMMERWORLD.

Peace, Defender

Back