Wrong sized drum head.

Eleven

Long story short, I ordered an Evans EC2 prepack (buy 3 get one free) saw two ads priced slightly different, one being $49, the other being $50. I ordered the cheaper one thinking I was saving something, received the order today and as it turns out 1 of the 4 drum heads is the wrong size. I need 10, 12, 14, 16 and I got a 13 in place of the 14.

It was my fault, and quite honestly don't want to wait for them to return, refund, reorder and ship out again.

What should/can I do with the 13? Since I don't need it and do need the 14.

Thanks!

Frisbe?
I forget who but someone mentioned cutting up old heads and using them as a dampener. That's all I'd know to do with it.

Long story short, I ordered an Evans EC2 prepack (buy 3 get one free) saw two ads priced slightly different, one being $49, the other being $50. I ordered the cheaper one thinking I was saving something, received the order today and as it turns out 1 of the 4 drum heads is the wrong size. I need 10, 12, 14, 16 and I got a 13 in place of the 14.

It was my fault, and quite honestly don't want to wait for them to return, refund, reorder and ship out again.

What should/can I do with the 13? Since I don't need it and do need the 14.

Thanks!

Go to Guitar Center or wherever you go, tell them a bizarre story how you lost your receipt and try to exchange it for a 14. It might cost you a couple dollars for the bigger size. Of course it is being dishonest, and I probably would not do this myself. FYI.

Cut the ring off of the head right at the collar.

Use the ring-less head as a cheap muffling device on your snare whenever you need one for that fat studio sound. Just place it on your snare head and you're good to go.

I think it was Bermuda that actually suggested this a while back in some thread. I forget where, but I've tried it and it works great.

I was actually thinking of going to GC to see if they'd exchange it, seeing as it is a new head. I'd prefer to go the honest way.

I'd cut it out for the dampener/muffler thing, however again, it's a brand new head I'd imagine there might be something better to do with it.

Last edited:
Find someone who needs a 13" head and pay it forward.

Unfortunately just moved (back) to this area after several years, don't know anyone who needs it. Might try my luck and post on craigslist, or try bringing it to guitar center for a trade.

Edit: I also realized I bought it from Musicians Friend, you think that because the two are associated that they may accept it?

Last edited:
It doesn't hurt to ask. I wouldn't know what to do with the head otherwise. Get a 13" snare drum? A drummer always needs another snare drum.

Thought about contacting Evans today, tweeted them and they told me to shoot them an email. Did just that, told them my issue (even if it was a mistake on my part). They're sending a 14" EC2S Clear, for free and I don't have to worry about sending the 13" back. Incredible! Evans remain my favorite drum head company.

Thought about contacting Evans today, tweeted them and they told me to shoot them an email. Did just that, told them my issue (even if it was a mistake on my part). They're sending a 14" EC2S Clear, for free and I don't have to worry about sending the 13" back. Incredible! Evans remain my favorite drum head company.

The more i read this forum over the years , the more impressed i am with Evans. That is really cool of them. Plus they have great drum heads!

The more i read this forum over the years , the more impressed i am with Evans. That is really cool of them. Plus they have great drum heads!

My favorite drum heads, always seemed to tune the best and easiest, and have great durability. Dealing with them today was phenomenal, possibly the best customer service I've ever encountered with any company.

Back