ExperVillage videos?

We've all seen them... We've all commented (most of us negatively) on them. So I want some voiced opinions.

I've had students come to me, showing me "this cool latin beat" or "this great jazz fill" that they learned off of ExpertVillage videos. It's great that kids are exploring the internet on their own to branch out and learn new stuff, but when they learn incorrect nomenclature, unauthentic/incorrect rhythms, or when the video doesn't tell them basic stuff about what they're playing (like where the pulse/beat is...), then I take issue with it. It bugs me to have to spend valuable lesson time with my students trying to undo the mess that ExpertVillage created.

I haven't spent much time looking at the videos myself, except for the ones that my students bring me or the ones that get posted here, but I haven't seen a useful/accurate one yet...

from things I've seen .. it should be called "fail village" every drum "lesson" I've seen on there is beyond a joke.

I must admit I've never seen a video on there that taught something correctly. It's quite extraordinary.

The best one i thought on one of those videos was "you need at least a 40,000 watt bass amp to practice with!" I do wonder if they're deliberately taking the piss sometimes...

Back