Gibraltar RIMS tom mounts discontinued? Can I still find them in Europe?

alexon

Hi,

I’m trying to replace my old Gretsch’s tom mounts with GTS suspension rims (made by Gibraltar/Gretsch) and I’m finding that all the stores in Spain (and most Webs in Europe) do not carry them anymore. Instead, they offer the Gibraltar SC-USS suspension system (one size fits all) than most people seem to dislike:

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=partsmain&curcat=2&cid=120&sid=669

What gives?

A number of stores in the US still have a few GTS rims available, but the shipping to Spain is too expensive (50-60 dollars or more). Does anyone know of a store in Europe where I could still order them?

Thanks a lot,

Alex

If it turns out that you simply can't get these in Europe, then I would recommend looking for WorldMax DSS isolation mounts. I don't know how they compare to Gibralter's, but they look similar enough to me that they might be just as good.

OK, thanks a lot for both suggestions; I'll check them out.

I still don't get why they canned the GTS mounts, I suspect it's because the need to have 10 different sizes proved too costly/inconvenient for Gibraltar and music stores...

Alex

OK, thanks a lot for both suggestions; I'll check them out.

I still don't get why they canned the GTS mounts, I suspect it's because the need to have 10 different sizes proved too costly/inconvenient for Gibraltar and music stores...

Alex

You're welcome. I just hope that you get something very similar to this if you can't get the Gibralter SC-GTS mounts!

What is it about the universal mounts that people aren't liking?

I haven't seen anyone say that the rubber results in hindering the vibration of the shell. One person was complaining about the rubber part leaving marks, and another was making an assumption that the rubber part defeats the purpose of suspending a drum so that the shell can vibrate freely, but they didn't say anything about the mount resulting in a worse sound than the SC-GTS mounts. I wish people would learn how to write a proper review.

However, one customer did comment about how the ends of the arms stick out too far for them on smaller toms, and I have to say that this looks like it would be the case with my double tom stand. Otherwise, if the toms are mounted together on stands that result in a situation where the brackets are nowhere near each other, then yeah it would work very well.

Based on all of the customer reviews though, I saw nothing about how they had a resulting inferior sound. In fact, one reviewer said that it worked as advertised, saying that his 10" tom no longer sounded "choked".

Although, I'm with you: I'd rather have the RIMS mounts.

Back