Show me your rack! :)

here is my rack:

28823_1307390932881_1473790586_30707773_3139551_n.jpg

not that I'm sure you can really call a breakout box for a soundcard and an ancient hifi a "rack". I think i was a bit optomistic when I made the provisions for 19" rackmounted units on this desk to be honest ;)

My rack. Not as pretty as Bo's rack but just as expensive.

Attachments

• CIMG0514.JPG
    CIMG0514.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 1,755
In keeping with Eddie's thinking...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-26 at 00.35.44.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-02-26 at 00.35.44.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,642
I need (read: really really want) to get a rack. I wish my 10" and 12" toms were a bit further to my right when I put them both on a double tom stand, and I wish they were both a little further to the left when I mount them both over the bass drum. A rack would not only allow me to put my toms where I want, but also allow for better cymbal positioning (plus the possibility of more cymbals).

Currently I'm just saving my money and holding out hope that Yamaha (or even some other company) will be able to make their hex rack again sometime in the near future. It's not like I have the extra money to go out and buy one this instant, anyway.

"Once you go rack you'll never go back". Got my Pearl 3 sided square rack about 6 months ago and I will never (never say never) or at least do not plan on going back to my stands, unless of course the gig calls for less is better for an acoustic thing. I can certainly appreciate the versatility it gives me for different set-ups, the consistency of settings and most importantly too me the minimal set up and break down time needed. I know I don't have to explain it to most of you but for those of you reading this thread who are more curious than anything else and who do not yet own a rack I can't express how much it was worth it for me. I have yet to discover all the advantages and love just screwing around with different drum and cymbal placement right now. I have played on racked kits before, and they have all been the round tube design and I noticed some slippage with the clamps while playing on these kits, this is why I opted for the square tube design, zero slippage and you do not have to overtighten the clamps. The only downfall to the the Pearl rack I bought was that the two sides were about 10" longer than I needed so I just cut and modified the length, which anyone having even a minimal amount of mechanical ablity can handle. "RACKS RULE" save your pennies, believe me, it will be worth it.

"Once you go rack you'll never go back". Got my Pearl 3 sided square rack about 6 months ago and I will never (never say never) or at least do not plan on going back to my stands, unless of course the gig calls for less is better for an acoustic thing. I can certainly appreciate the versatility it gives me for different set-ups, the consistency of settings and most importantly too me the minimal set up and break down time needed. I know I don't have to explain it to most of you but for those of you reading this thread who are more curious than anything else and who do not yet own a rack I can't express how much it was worth it for me. I have yet to discover all the advantages and love just screwing around with different drum and cymbal placement right now. I have played on racked kits before, and they have all been the round tube design and I noticed some slippage with the clamps while playing on these kits, this is why I opted for the square tube design, zero slippage and you do not have to overtighten the clamps. The only downfall to the the Pearl rack I bought was that the two sides were about 10" longer than I needed so I just cut and modified the length, which anyone having even a minimal amount of mechanical ablity can handle. "RACKS RULE" save your pennies, believe me, it will be worth it.

I don't know, Jim. I went rack and I went back. If people find their way and discover that's the way to go, more power to 'em. I must not be playing enough stuff ;)

I don't know, Jim. I went rack and I went back. If people find their way and discover that's the way to go, more power to 'em. I must not be playing enough stuff ;)

Also "went rack and went back" - if for no other reason than the rack was killing MY back. Sold it last week and am completely happy with my 6-piece on 3 stands - - but ah, that's another thread.

Back when I DID have a rack, it looked like this:

Attachments

• goodolddays.jpg
    goodolddays.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,517

I hear ya...Personal preference for right now anyway, like I said, never say never. It is still very new to me and I am still playing around with it also. I am sure you are probably the same but I love switching my set up around just to experiment. The most important thing as you also know is that if you are not comfortable/loose and if your kit is not set up ergonomically correct you are in for a long day following a tough gig. So I am a full supporter of being comfortable, literally from head to toe, if not you will regret. I use a set of aux hats and the rack makes it easier to them up and I will also use the rack for a mic clamp. I always bring more than I need and extra gear for giggin out and the rack helps accommodate. I also do quite a few acoustic gigs with one band and will just bring my kick, my snare, a set of hats and a crash/ride. I guess we all have to adapt to the venue/music being played. If the set list we are playing and we are covering say a ton of Porcupine Tree I will go all out and even put gear into the set up I know I won't even use, just for show so to speak. I love to entertain and put on a show, although I do not consider myself to be an over the top drummer who has to be the center of attention. Sorry for babbling, snowing out again and I'm bored waiting to go out to the Olive Garden, only if my wife would get her ass home..No show last night and I'm getting antsy...Practice later..

Back