My Sonor - 100% ROCK!

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Well, my kit has received a complete overhaul, and most of it has been replaced. This is how it used to look, but after getting rid of the rack, replacing the cymbals and snare, adding another floor tom and some electronics, it has morphed into a totally different beast! This kit is made to rock, and rock is precisely what it does!

Pictures are taken in our rehearsal room, so I apologise for the mess :)

Front view:
front.jpg

frontleft.jpg

frontright.jpg

Seen from my perspective:
driver1.jpg

driver2.jpg

driver3.jpg

The electronics rig:
electronics.jpg

The Roland SPD-S, which takes care of our live sampling needs:
spds.jpg

The percussion table, which houses the mixer (used to control my in-ear mix) and trusty metronome:
perctable.jpg

My in-ear monitors, a pair of Shure E2C's:
inears.jpg

My sticks. Time to get another 12-pack soon, hehe:
stickbag.jpg

Specs!

Drums:
- Kit: Sonor Force 3005
- Finish: Autumn High Gloss
- Rack tom: 12x10
- Floor toms: 14x14 and 16x16
- Kick: 22x17,5
- Snare: 14x6,5 Pearl Sensitone Steel

Cymbals:
- Hihat: 14" Meinl Byzance Traditional Medium
- Ride: 20" Meinl Byzance Traditional Medium
- Crash #1: 18" Meinl Byzance Traditional Thin
- Crash #2: 18" Meinl Byzance Traditional Medium Thin
- China: 18" Wuhan Lion

Electronics:
- Sampler: Roland SPD-S
- Mixer: Behringer Xenyx 502 (used to control my in-ear monitor mix)
- Metronome: Boss DB-60
- In-ear monitors: Shure E2C

Hardware:
- Stands: Gibraltar 6609 x 5
- Double pedal: Pearl P2002-C Eliminator
- Hihat stand: Pearl H-2000 "Eliminator"
- Snare stand: Gibraltar GI-9606
- Percussion table: Gibraltar SC-SAT
- Seat: Gibraltar 9608 Round Vinyl

Sticks and stuff:
- Main sticks: Regal Tip 5B Wide
- Rods: Regal Tip Blasticks
- Brushes: Unknown brand, but they work nicely for my limited brush needs

Heads:
- Snare batter: Evans EC Reverse Dot
- Snare reso: Evans Hazy 300
- Tom batter: Evans EC2 Coated
- Tom reso: Evans G1 Clear
- Kick batter: Evans EMAD Clear
- Kick reso: Evans EQ3 Black

Last edited:
Nice clean set-up, and beautiful drums!

I listened to your MySpace tracks; indeed very rock!

Loving that kit. Very tidy setup and I love the Byzance cymbals!!!!

Awesome looking kit! Form and function definitely go hand in hand here :)

Yup, this kit is designed both for a big rock sound, and for easy breakdown and setup. I still need to get memory locks for my floor tom legs, since they can be a bit of a hassle to set up right, but other than that this is a great kit to play. It's also very scalable, so if the stage or drum riser is very small, I can get rid of the 14" tom and the china stand and have a very compact setup.

How do you find the Shure E2Cs? Looking at getting a setup similar to yours soon for the band, as we're writing more songs with programmed pieces in them.

How do you find the Shure E2Cs? Looking at getting a setup similar to yours soon for the band, as we're writing more songs with programmed pieces in them.

Considering they're the most inexpensive of Shure's in-ear monitors (designed for live use), I think they're great! Good fit, and they don't fall out. The lower frequencies leave a little to be desired, but overall they're good monitors.

I hope to get some custom moulds for them at some point, but there's no rush as of yet.

Nice setup, loving the cymbals.
How do you like the Crash and Hats?

I love them, and the ride too. The crashes have this amazing trashy/china-esque quality to them which helps them cut even though they're pretty dark, and the hats are quite simply the best I've ever played (and I never thought I'd like anything better than New Beats). If I had one complaint, it would be that the ride bell isn't loud or defined enough, and that the ride builds up a tad too much wash when I play it normally. However, I also crash and crash-ride it a lot, and it's perfect for that, so that was always going to be a compromise.

Bumping this to say that we've got confirmation from producer Sylvia Massy at RadioStar Studios in California. We're heading there to record a new album in february. Woo!

Won't be bringing this kit though, that'd simply cost way too much (and she's got tons of great equipment available there anyway).

love the kit, one tiny suggestion tho. you should try to raise the front of your bass drum off of the floor, you will probably hear a better difference.

love the kit, one tiny suggestion tho. you should try to raise the front of your bass drum off of the floor, you will probably hear a better difference.

A better difference compared to what?

The reason I keep the front of the kick on the floor (keeping the shell itself parallell to the floor) is because the tension it puts on the hoop and shell simply can not be good for the drum or the sound. The kick drum pedal is obviously parallell to the floor, which means that the clamp mechanism on the pedal is trying to keep the kick drum flat as well. If I angle the kick upwards, it will cause unnecessary stress on the hoop and drum.

Bob Gatzen explains it better than I ever could in this video (about a minute into it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8Q12mKYxI

^^ But if the front hoop is resting on the floor, then the drum shell can't be parallel to the floor, can it? Placing a kick pedal on the back hoop raises that end about a centimeter off the floor, because the pedal base is underneath the hoop. So, to make your shell parallel, then the front hoop should be about a centimeter off the floor as well. That's all you need to give that extra resonance that Budiesel is talking about.

A better difference compared to what?

The reason I keep the front of the kick on the floor (keeping the shell itself parallell to the floor) is because the tension it puts on the hoop and shell simply can not be good for the drum or the sound. The kick drum pedal is obviously parallell to the floor, which means that the clamp mechanism on the pedal is trying to keep the kick drum flat as well. If I angle the kick upwards, it will cause unnecessary stress on the hoop and drum.

Bob Gatzen explains it better than I ever could in this video (about a minute into it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8Q12mKYxI

Your pedal is lifting the batter-side up about 1" off of the floor (in general) - so you should prop the reso-side up as much to be even w/ the batter-side. It's a tiny detail but it definitely makes a difference.

The front hoop isn't actually touching the floor, it's just the thickness of the drum rug that might make it appear that way :)

Back