Roland SPD-S "memory full" ?

schist

Silver Member
Hello,

I bought a Roland SPD-S sampling pad not long ago, and when I try to sample sounds to it of any length, I receive a "memory full!". Even after deleting the existing data on the machine, I still get that message whenever I try to sample something. I've checked the remaining memory left via the 'SETUP' option, and it confirms that the memory is indeed full. How is that possible? I now have no sounds/patches left on the module, and yet there is still somehow no available memory? Has anyone else had this problem, and how have they solved it?

It also bears mentioning that I will need this rectified by next week, as I have a gig and an international tour where I will need it to function without any hiccups or other weird surprises.

Cheers.

Have you tried inserting a Compact Flash card and writing to that? I believe you can put any size CF card in there but it will only see up to 512mb.

The SPD-S may be damaged and the only recourse if that is the case is to deal with Roland tech support. However...

Read this from the vdrums.com message board

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?28741-The-Same-Old-SPD-S-Question

The most common reason for this is trying to add audio that exceeds the internal memory capacity - which is not much. 16mb. The factory sounds have been strategically sampled so that they are small enough as to put many sounds in the small internal memory. That can give the illusion that you can put many sounds in of long length and highest sample quality.

Just in case you haven't read it already, the instructions to delete all data are on page 87 of the manual (free in PDF form from Roland).

I'd try sampling something really small like a snare hit, Mono audio, Long mode (page 52). If that doesn't go in then IMO you either haven't truly intialized the SPD-S completely or the unit is damaged. In either case, get on the phone with Roland and relay exactly the steps you took (maybe write them down?) and let them walk you through to see if/where there is an issue. If you just bought the SPD-S, I assume it's used as the SPD-SX has been out for a year or so. If it is damaged you may have a hard call as a repair can exceed the value of a used unit. Not trying to be pessimistic just trying to be realistic about what could happen.

If you do have success getting the unit working I would immediately start shopping for a Compact Flash card and CF Card reader/writer. 16mb is just too small for many applications. Then make sure you are sampling to the card when ever you sample or import samples via the card.

Hope it works out well for you.

Jim

I can't write anything to it, as I will still only receive a "memory full!" the INSTANT I hit the "Start/Stop" sample button.

I've tried e-mailing the retailer I bought it off, but have received no response. How curious. Looks like you could be right, Shedboy - they may have sold me a lemon. Guess I'm f**ked for next week. :S

try the vdrums.com forum. there's a guy over there(BarT) who has solved every SPD S problem/issue. Im sure I've seen this exact same question asked over there. You probably won't even have to ask, just use the search engine.

try the vdrums.com forum. there's a guy over there(BarT) who has solved every SPD S problem/issue. Im sure I've seen this exact same question asked over there. You probably won't even have to ask, just use the search engine.

+1
Yes! I can confidently agree. BarT seems to be the guy who has it cold on then SPD-S. You may hear some of the same things you've heard already but it wouldn't hurt to hit him up.

Last edited:
Back