Quickly changing kick drum head graphics

timizere

Hi- this may seem like a rather vain problem, but it annoys me no end. I play with a number of bands, all of which require a head design for promo purposes. I can gig 3 or 4 times a weekend and have to change kick head every time.

I know its lazy, but I'm looking for a quick way to change heads/ design. I currently use a drill to loosen the lugs which makes swapping head a fair bit quicker, but its still a pain.

The best I can come up with is hacking old heads into squares and somehow sticking that on top of the design on the main head. Obviously that'll change the sound which isn't ideal.

Anyone have any miracle cures/ brilliant ideas?

Get a white coated skin and a projector, you could play a video on your bass drum.

I like this idea the best... If you wanted to get fancy you could suspend the projector inside the BD with a wide angle lens and project from the inside... no port hole though...

Get a nice new clean white reso, and use no logo.
Tell the guitarist and bassist to hang banners/logos from their amps instead.

I notice Abe Laboriel jr. just has Paul McCartney's initials "PM" in tape on his reso. very easy.

Get a white coated skin and a projector, you could play a video on your bass drum.

Loving this idea!!

My "mentor", a 72 year old jazzer who I've learned a lot from over the years has a cardboard circle the size of the kick decorated with the bands name and logo. When he was gigging with two bands simultaniously he'd simply change the cardboard circle to another. The circle is held in place by having some of the T-rods on the bass drum to point outwards/inwards if you know what I mean. This could also be done with plywood or other kinds of materials aswell. I guess it affects the tone a little, but can't be by much.

Back