what ride stands are you using?

I keep my eyes open for yamaha, that short dw stand and Gibraltar stand too. I know tama makes good stuff my im not diggin the thin ones I have for my ride.

I'm using a really old and heavy Sound Percussion stand with double-brace legs. It's been in service since the early 90's. It belong to my uncle before I bought it from him. So it was already worn-in when I got it. It's missing its grommet where you tighten the leg part wing nut to the stand pole part. I just use a wadded up piece of card board there in place of the grommet.

Last year I picked up a straight stand with single-brace legs for my giggin hardware. Forgot what brand it is. It's a good one though.

Besides my hi-hat stands, the only stands I ever bought new are a couple Pearl boom stands with double-braced legs, but I use those for the crashes.

I have one of the $35 sound percussion double-braced ones as well, and it's kind of amazing for $35. I've had it for at least 4 years with 3-5 things hanging off of it for the vast majority of that time, and it's never failed me.

I use flat base stands for everything.
Been using them pretty much exclusively for about 4 years, with no problems at all. I have DW, and Ludwig Atlas. Even the 24" ride that I crash a lot is perfectly stable on it. I use the straight stands.

Gibraltar's flat base gear is very nice also. and I will be getting their new ultra adjust snare stand for my tom. If someone else uses my kit on a show, which happens from time to time, it will be super easy to get things back in order for myself, and they can move it if they want also (I'm nice like that).

I'm using one of my late 90s gibraltar 9500 heavy boom stands. It's a beast of a stand. My ride is now positioned almost halfway over the bass drum so the counterweighted boom really helps keep it from wobbling or skipping around. I try to remember that every time I'm carrying it up a flight of stairs.

I have two of them. The boom holding up the two crashes in the pic is the same model, just with a very annoying key operated tilting tripod system.

I know most people prefer stands that fall somewhere in a medium weight, but when it comes to ride stands that wont be mounted straight, or anything you're going to clamp one or two drums and a cymbal on, dont skimp on the amount of metal.

Attachments

• Reddy resized.jpg
    Reddy resized.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 294
I'm using a straight double-braced cymbal stand that came with my Starclassic kit. Almost 18 years old and never had a problem with it. I also hang a 14" tom off of it (like a suspended floor tom). No stability issues.

I use a single brace yamaha boom stand. I need a boom because the straight doesn't allow the cymbal to be close enough. Don't use much of the boom but enough to need it :)

I have the same issue with the ride being too close with a straight stand, as I have a hanging floor tom on that stand. I just hacksaw off any extra boom I don't use. Less weight. My boom on my ride is maybe 4" long lol. It's a boom-ette lol. I keep the ride pretty low, so I don't have to break it down for travel either, I just fold the legs up. It's the only boom stand on my gig kit.

I'll never understand double braced legs. They just seem like a waste of metal. You could have 6 legs with that amount of metal.

Im using the pre-atlas ludwig flat based stands for my cymbals. And yamaha single braced hi-hat and snare stands. I am not a fan of heavy hardware I like it to be as light as possible. I can put everything besides my throne and hi-hat stand in a small duffle bag. I have a zildjian K custom dry ride that weighs a ton and have never had a problem. I am not a cymbal basher but even if I do it holds up. But really its all up to you.

If your configuration is a one up then I would suggest the new Ludwig bass drum mount bracket and atlas classic cymbal holder it isolates the holder from the bracket, it's well built and will lighten your load and take up less space both on stage and in your bag.

Another vote for single braced Yamaha here. I have a really heavy Tama that is indestructible here in my project studio, but I leave it at home. Since I have two hanging side toms, those along with a crash are on a DW 9000 stand. But the ride has never moved or been an issue with the Yamaha. A real heavy hitter turned me one to these. I collected some to use with my Safari kit but after watching him over a couple of months I started taking one out for the ride to lighten the load. As Bo said, well made beats overmade every time.

Also using a single braced yamaha stand. They won't topple, the trick is to position the legs the right way, and don't overextend the cymbal holding part.

A double braced Pearl stand.
I have Frankenstein hardware but I made sure all of the cymbal stands are double braced when I got them (second hand). Any other of my cymbal stands would work for the ride, too, but somehow I got used to picking the Pearl for the ride cymbal. I think the legs on the Pearl stand can be set into a lower setting than on the other stands so the feet would cover more ground which gives me more confidence when using heavy cymbals, and the ride is the heaviest I have (20'' Byzance Dry Ride).

Hmm, forgot to look back at this thread. Im stilling looking into it. Havent had the spare cash for the next stand.

Tama RoadPro is an ultimate quality/price workhorse for me. I have some of them more than 10 years for now, some are younger a bit. Those with quick-tilt feature works best in my opinion. But they are too heavy for every day trips.

I use a Yamaha single braced boomstand for my ride. I also have stands from Tama/Pearl/and Gibralter. The easiest to adjust in a hurry is the Yamaha. The Gibralter stuff would stand up to a nucluer war, but is heavy. I have a Gibralter stand, double braced from the mid 90's, the only serial number on it are the words "The Rock"

Yamaha

Back