Batter vs. Reso hoops

tbmills

Gold Member
is their any difference in the construction or weight between the batter and resonant hoops on toms?

i have a cheapo pacific set and i havent noticed a difference but it makes sense to me for a batter hoop to have a lower profile so the rimshot angle is lower, and for the reso head to be a lower weight since reso heads are normally thinner and it doesnt need to be as strong as the batter.

is their any differnce on a higher end kit?

it makes no sense to me for them to be the same.
especially on higher end kits. companies invest so much in other parts.

any drum is ultimately exactly the same right-side up or up-side down (other than heads)

things like this really do affect sound. someone should experiment with different weights and materials. if i had the resources i would.

any drum is ultimately exactly the same right-side up or up-side down (other than heads)

On my DW kit, the resonant-side has a different kind of bearing edge than the batter side. It's called the ESE edge, and it's basically a double-45 cut.

I've heard that they can't legally make a double-45 cut for the batter side thanks to Spaun. Does anyone have any inside info about this?

On my DW kit, the resonant-side has a different kind of bearing edge than the batter side. It's called the ESE edge, and it's basically a double-45 cut.

I've heard that they can't legally make a double-45 cut for the batter side thanks to Spaun. Does anyone have any inside info about this?

You can't patent that. If you could, they'd sue every custom builder or drum repair shop in existence, because the double 45 is one of the most common bearing edge angles to have cut.

i stretched out my bottom head on my pdp mx snare. but now i have a battlefield and it doesnt stretch my heads.

Back