Aaron Spears

Yeah, this clip is from DVD of the 2006 MD festival.

Aaron appears with three other drummers from the hip-hop/gospel genre - Marvin McQuitty, Gerald Herward and Teddy Campbell.

It's not a style I'm totally familiar with, but the four guys are all red-hot - especially Aaron Spears.

Interesting point he makes about the importances of coming back around to the one. I feel like no matter how fast your chops are, if you miss the resolution it just sounds like crap. I think Aaron does a good job of building large melodic phrases within his grooves and is (within the context of actual music not just solos) very disciplined about when to let loose with those incredible fills.

and he's just got the gig touring with the backstreet boys i think he's gonna be busy for a long time!

Anyone getting the Aaron Spears DVD?

From the clips, looks OK..Not sure about the educational value based on some of the "answers" given to the questions posed in the set up master class. Might be worth it for the fill concepts. Ebook transcriptions...I dunno..we'll see how the money goes..Things are tight these days, and I want ALOT of educational value for my buck as opposed to lots o licks...

Re: Anyone getting the Aaron Spears DVD?

I don't think that it will be totally educational to be honest.

Maybe John Riley's dvd or alternatively you could pick up a load of old modern drummer magazines.

My local drum shop has loads of old copies and they sell them for 4 for a fiver! So for the cost of this dvd (£40) you could get...maths......32 drum magazines. Each having atleast 2 or 3 good exe4cises in deifferent genres.

And your recycling

Dave

Dang, Aaron is so good. His demand around the kit is amazing. Has anyone tried out his sticks?

I went to see aaron spears drum clinic yesterday at newcastle college and he was great, all of host chops, fills, doubles blew everyone away. Its his first drum clinic in the uk and is touring now in the Uk and I highly recommend going
It also includes the young drummer of the year and others who were also great check online for info

Back