Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

I found a 14" 50's 3ply Gretsch tom!!

UP-DATE -
The drum is NOT A 3PLY
I went across the boarder to Blaine and picked it up yesterday. I was pretty disappointed to see that it is a 6ply not...as I thought...a 3ply. It was my own mistake - I guessed that it was a three ply....wishful thinking. Further..I should have asked the question BEFORE bidding. It's the second time in a few months that I bought a Gretsch shell thinking it was a 3ply. You'd think I'd learn!

I scored this unhappy Gretsch cocktail drum on eBay a week or so ago. The finish is not repairable as you can see. The drum has a lot of parts missing including the badge.
My idea is to cut it down to a 14" and maybe even salvage a nice snare shell as well.

Usually I would not think of cutting a vintage drum down. But, with the wrap and parts issue the real 'vintage' value is gone. In another scenerio I might have decided to rewrap it and find the missing parts. But this may be my one chance to have the 3ply 14" 50's Gretsch ft that I've been searching for.........without paying well over $1000. This cocktail drum was $200. Also I need a 6.5x14 3ply Gretsch snare shell..........they are almost as hard to find as the 14 FT.......

I will qualify this by saying this drum is not my "saved the best for last!"....................

I would love to find a 14" 3ply FT - been looking but man...are they scarce! I think if I eventually do find one it may cost me more than what I paid for my complete kit including cymbals.

Attachments

• cocktail1.jpg
    cocktail1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,898
  • COCKTAIL6.jpg
    COCKTAIL6.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,945
  • COCKTAIL3.jpg
    COCKTAIL3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,898
  • COCKTAIL5.jpg
    COCKTAIL5.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 2,880
  • COCKTAIL EDGE.jpg
    COCKTAIL EDGE.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2,869
Last edited:
Saving up is the best part of owning it. You obviously appreciate what you have and it's indeed a tremendous set that can last you a lifetime.

Congratulations on saving and now owning a great set of drums. May they give you a lifetime of fulfillment.

Thank you very much, its a very fulfilling experience, and i love the thing as well. i had my starter drum kit for ten years before getting the gretsch so the step up is just mind blowing.

Sometimes it takes a while to save up for something you really want, but in the long run it's very well worth it. It looks similar in finish to Ludwig's "sky blue pearl".

Enjoy it and now I gotta go and look up that Megan Fox chick, lol.

Dennis

Yeah, it was a difficult choice getting this over a luddy but i know i made the right one now. i love the finish which is just as well as the range only came with three, white, black and this one. enjoy your megan fox searching

575858_464388570239900_1233733662_n.jpg

I got my new Catalina Maple set 3 weeks ago. I've probably logged about 50+ hours on her already!!

603167_464392190239538_57246998_n.jpg

Yeah, I know... change the heads!!!

I'm going to go: Toms- G2's over G1's, Snare- ST or HD Dry, and Bass- EMAD2... but for now, I got them tuned really well and my rig sounds good!!

i'm just going to wear these out first!

Last edited:
If you like the sound save yourself some money and play them for a while. Congrats on the Cats.

Just got the 8" & 13" toms to add to my 5 piece Renown Maple fusion kit in Autumn Burst. Kit now consists of 8, 10, 12,13 toms with a 14" floor tom. I have a 16" floor tom still on order.

Nothing.... absolutely nothing, beats that Great Gretsch Sound!

Attachments

• P6290204.jpg
    P6290204.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,771
  • P6290202.jpg
    P6290202.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,800
  • P6290198.jpg
    P6290198.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 3,089
  • P6290197.jpg
    P6290197.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,810
Just got the 8" & 13" toms to add to my 5 piece Renown Maple fusion kit in Autumn Burst. Kit now consists of 8, 10, 12,13 toms with a 14" floor tom. I have a 16" floor tom still on order.

Nothing.... absolutely nothing, beats that Great Gretsch Sound!

nice kit

and great room!!!

nothing even comes close to the Gretsch sound in my opinion

Flareless - nice setup! Love the Renowns. A sweet sounding comforting drum in my opinion. thanks.

Thanks for the kind words guys! I truly love playing this kit. The sound is incredible!

The room was just a bonus! My wife and I moved to the country about a year ago and this huge recreation room works out as a perfect jam space. I'm allowed to have my stuff in half the room but we can spread out all over when people come to jam. The wall of windows looks out over a valley and across to the mountains beyond.

It's been a while since I played my Gretsch Renowns, so tonight I tore them down, wiped them off and re-tuned all the heads. I really enjoyed playing them tonight, in fact I think they sounded a bit better to me than my Ludwig Classic Maple kit.

Gretsch Renown drums are an incredible value for what they cost.

Dennis

Hello all, I bought this Gretsch Renown (8 piece) Purewood kit on Ebay about 6 years ago from a guy who had it for an unknown length of time. I am more than curious to learn what type of wood these shells are made from. I tried contacting Gretsch at the time and did quite a bit of research but could not discover any difinitive information on the kit, its wood, or history. "Mistress Gretschen" is quite a woman. She likes to be beaten and never complains. My exotic beauty is from a mysterious place and I yearn to learn more about her origins. If anyone knows anything please let me know.

The best match for grain and color was Macacuba or Macawood I think but this may not be correct. Thanks

8"/10"/12"/14"/14"snare/16"/18"/22"

heavy heavy duty brushen nickle hardware stamped with Gretsch

Thanks

Attachments

• mistress Gretschen.jpg
    mistress Gretschen.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 2,578
  • Mistress Gretschen snare.jpg
    Mistress Gretschen snare.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2,524
  • purewood snare3.jpg
    purewood snare3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,508
  • purewood toms3.jpg
    purewood toms3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 2,538
  • purewood kit.jpg
    purewood kit.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 2,817
  • purewood toms2.jpg
    purewood toms2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,549
  • purewood toms.jpg
    purewood toms.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 2,736
Last edited:
Hello all, I bought this Gretsch Renown (8 piece) Purewood kit on Ebay about 6 years ago from a guy who had it for an unknown length of time. I am more than curious to learn what type of wood these shells are made from. I tried contacting Gretsch at the time and did quite a bit of research but could not discover any difinitive information on the kit, its wood, or history. "Mistress Gretschen" is quite a woman. She likes to be beaten and never complains. My exotic beauty is from a mysterious place and I yearn to learn more about her origins. If anyone knows anything please let me know.

The best match for grain and color was Macacuba or Macawood I think but this may not be correct. Thanks

Thanks

Afterim they look fantastic. Usually the Purewood kits are 6 piece. It could be interesting to hear more about the history of this set. The brushed nickel looks good too.

I did some research and from what I can find so far. Gretsch has done Bubinga, Hickory, Maple, Oak in the Purewood series. I think maybe Walnut too. And Wenge

In fact found this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-11 at 2.05.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-11 at 2.05.42 PM.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 2,384

Thanks

Whatever they are, they look beautiful.

Hell Yeah...those are some beauties! Nice score.

Thanks

I think this may have been a test run, using whatever wood these are made from, and for whatever reason decided not to continue production. Its single kick, 8 piece configuration is definately uncommon if not unique in a purewood series. The 18" floor tom is a monster. A low end boomer for sure. The drums are downright musical. A blast to play. Thanks for looking...

Thanks

Wow, What a great looking kit. And Gretsch to boot.

Gretsch Catalina Rock.. second hand and pretty beat up haha

18x24
16x18
16x16
9x13

Occasionally using a 12x15 Gretsch marching snare as a rack tom

With an 80s steel Tama Rockstar Snare

All Tama Hardware

LP Red Jamblock and LP Rock Ridge Cowbell

20" Zildjian A Custom Medium Crash
24" Zildjian A Medium Ride
15" Zildjian New Beats

Temporary 22" Paiste Rock Ride used as a crash, it sounds awful but I need something to hit!

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 2,332
  • 20120815_163608.jpg
    20120815_163608.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 2,356
  • 20120815_163615.jpg
    20120815_163615.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 2,359
  • 20120815_163622.jpg
    20120815_163622.jpg