Evans Drumheads Which Should I get?

oBIGxREDo

So I've used a few different evans and a lot of remo and personally I still like evans more.

Anyways,

I'm a hard rock drummer so should I get Evans G2 Coated or Clear or EC2 Coated?

I suggest the power centre heads from Evans, they seem to bring out the tone of the drum, add good attack for fills and they have a decent range for tuning

When I go Evans, I really like the G2's. Coated or clear, they work great for me. I'll use their EQ3 on the bass drum. It's usually between those or Remo's Emperors, and PowerStroke 3's. Sometimes I go completely retro and use regular Ambassadors or G1's too.

I tried the EC2's and couldn't get in to it. They sounded a little too muted for my taste. I didn't want to have that sound all the time (the studio eq'd Gadd sound) which is why I think they're a little one-dimensional. But Will Kennedy plays them and he sounds great on anything.

I would say:

Evans G2 Coated on tom batter.
Evans G1 Clear on tom resonant.
Evans EMAD Coated on bass drum batter.
Evans EQ3 on bass drum resonant.
Evans ST on snare drum batter.
Evans Hazy on snare drum resonant.

Great heads!

im an EC2 man myself, but only on my current drums. the material the drum is made of has a lot to do with head choice

I use G2 coated over G1 clears on my toms, Power center reverse dot over 300 hazy on the snare, gmad on the bass batter

Makes my SQ2s sound phenominal.

F

im an EC2 man myself, but only on my current drums. the material the drum is made of has a lot to do with head choice

Well if it helps any I have a Sonor eXtreme force edition they're birch. 10"12" high toms, 14" 16" floors. 14" Snare, 22" bass.

I forgot to mention I'm only looking for tom head suggestions.

I would go to the drum shop and ask for the very rare Evan's heads called clear Emperors, for your batters, and clear Ambassadors for your Reso's. They will know what you mean. Your drums will never sound so good.

I have become very friendly with Evans coated G2 over clear G1, and Hazy 300 with either a Genera HD dry or ST dry snare head. Can't go wrong there. But I have maple toms and other woods will sound different.

I have become very friendly with Evans coated G2 over clear G1, and Hazy 300 with either a Genera HD dry or ST dry snare head. Can't go wrong there. But I have maple toms and other woods will sound different.
How friendly? Get a room ;)

I've been using clear G2 over G1 lately. I have used EC2's in the past as well. Evans makes good stuff.
My 14" floor has an Emp over G1. I dont like it as much, I find that drum a pain in the ass to tune.

I would go to the drum shop and ask for the very rare Evan's heads called clear Emperors, for your batters, and clear Ambassadors for your Reso's. They will know what you mean. Your drums will never sound so good.

The ever elusive Evans Emps and Ambs. Good choice.

Aquarian drum heads! Love the Remo emperor over embass but sick of spending money on heads due to poor coating (emp) love the way they sound just not durable enough. Found Aquarian and not looking back, very happy with the response 2 coated heads! And as a bonus they are considerably cheaper!!!
Evans......... Not sure

For rock and a quite a few other genres, I use Evans G2 clear over G1 clear heads on my Starclassic Bubinga drums and I've been using that combination for over three years on that kit. If you have any issues with tuning, the EC2 heads will veil some of the inconsistent harmonic overtones you might have, but I still say G2 over G1 makes for a great combination.

Dennis

Aquarian drum heads! Love the Remo emperor over embass but sick of spending money on heads due to poor coating (emp) love the way they sound just not durable enough. Found Aquarian and not looking back, very happy with the response 2 coated heads! And as a bonus they are considerably cheaper!!!
Evans......... Not sure

Not only are they cheaper and the coating lasts forever but you will also find they will take 6 to 8 months before they start to go dead unlike remo which I have had go dead in a couple weeks and evans which I cant seem to get more than 2 or 3 months out of.

Last edited:
Check out Evans G2 clear on top and EC Resonant on the bottom. Peace and goodwill.

Back