The best drum rug..

I tought this one would be kind of nice to go with my Gretsch drums but when it arrived there were some quality issues so I sent it back. Gretsch is sending me another one. I'll post it with the kit............if the rug passes my QC.

Kona

Attachments

• Gretsch drum rug stitching (Medium).jpg
    Gretsch drum rug stitching (Medium).jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 27,161
Home Depot has 4x6' rugs for $20. It's the perfect size for my set up. I had a rug with a rubber backing, but it didn't seem to make any difference whether it had one or not, so I figured I'd save myself the hassle of carrying around an extra few pounds of rubber...

Also, the drum rug isn't just to keep things from sliding, but it also reduces the "live" reflective sound you get from playing on a hard surface.

I only ever use one if my bass drum keeps sliding away in sound check or practice. Hope the new one passes QC checks.
Kevin

I purchased a oriental rug on the internet. Looks good; works great. It's 5x8 and is a perfect size for my kit.

I'm guessing you don't carry that with you to gigs though? Looks pretty heavy and it would take up a lot of space in the car :)

I collect antique tribal rugs (e.g. Baluch, Afshar, Qashqa'i, etc.). I picked up a beautiful 80 year old Khamseh rug that has hand spun wool and vibrant natural dyes for a song. It had a few low areas (who doesn't after 80 years!); and was therefore not attractive to collectors. I have my congas on it. I have combined two of my passions. I am in a bit of awe that some nomads, living a very difficult life, made this gem and I have the pleasure of enjoying it 80 years later.

Take care all.

GJS

i'm looking into drum rugs and i just dont know which one to get. anybody have any strong suggestions? thanks!

I would say if you're going to use a drum rug - go for the one that you like the best and will look nice with your kit. Low profile rugs are the most practical because they serve all the functions of a "drum rug" and they don't get in the way that much if at all if you find the right one. They really don't take up much more space if you think about it and they can serve as a nice cushion between stuff while transporting your drums.

I picked the new Gretsch Rug only because I play - you guessed it - Gretsch drums. However, my drums do not leave my drum room. The Gretsch rug has metal (lightweight metal) on the corners to help keep them from turning up and some rubber underneath the outside edge and it's very low profile - light too - only a lb. or two it feels like.

I collect antique tribal rugs (e.g. Baluch, Afshar, Qashqa'i, etc.). I picked up a beautiful 80 year old Khamseh rug that has hand spun wool and vibrant natural dyes for a song. It had a few low areas (who doesn't after 80 years!); and was therefore not attractive to collectors. I have my congas on it. I have combined two of my passions. I am in a bit of awe that some nomads, living a very difficult life, made this gem and I have the pleasure of enjoying it 80 years later.

Take care all.

GJS

Pretty good rug story! Yes - I would be in "awe" at the thought of the history of that rug and pleased to have it under my drums. I had my conga drums on a handmade Indian rug (each drum on a small piece of plywood on the rug) 30 years ago. It was an old rug at that time. I've long since given the rug away. Your Post brought back memories of that rug and playing days long gone bye - thanks!

ANOTHER RUG STORY:
http://www.rugrag.com/post/Emerson2c-Lake-and-Palmer-Rug.aspx

Last edited:
l_72a802cf7d9d49da88cafefac96035ba.jpg

Here's mine. It's an area rug.

...it is beginning to look dirty (its beige) and smell (spilt drinks)...

I'll take a rug outside on the paved driveway and pour a bucket of HOT water (hot cuts grease) with Mr. Clean or carpet cleaner or dishwashing liquid, laundry soap or whatever I got on it, and scrub it with a fairly stiff brush on a long handle (looks like a pushbroom). The more soppin' wet the better. Then squirt it like crazy with the garden hose. It will weigh a ton wet but I luckily have a low concrete wall nearby that I can drape it on for drying. A sawhorse or fence or anything will work to let it drip/air dry. Obviously this works best and fastest when it's hot and sunny outside. This cleans it way, way better than the indoor method with the carpet shampoo and the vacuuming.

I found these rugs at Walmart a few weeks ago for $16 each. They are 60 x 30 inches. A brown one for My Gretsch and a black one for my Rhythm Traveler.
Black rugs are hard to find! They are thin but durable for a good price.
I also found the stick on silver letters that are on my bass drum at Walmart in the auto department for $8. There are two of each letter plus two of each number 0 through 9 in the package plus many other shapes.

Attachments

• 0720092252.jpg
    0720092252.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 24,192
  • 0720092252a.jpg
    0720092252a.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 24,093
Last edited:
Reviving this thread ... I'm looking for a drum rug. My band practices in a garage with a concrete floor, and my hi-hat and kick are sliding away like crazy. Plus I'd like something between my kick and the concrete.

I checked on the rug backing mat sold by Nigosian Rug Co, they don't seem to still be in business (shopping cart doesn't work and mail bounces). There are some relatively cheap Oriental rugs online at Overstock.com but they're 0.625" thick, which is kind of plush. So I'm leaning towards an actual drum rug, even though they're crazy expensive. Right now I'm thinking Meinl (too bad they're ugly) or Protection Racket. PR also makes some rug markers which is pretty cool.

Any thoughts?

I still like the oriental rugs. I went to a music expo recently looking at bags, cases and the like, including rugs. While the pro rugs were interesting, they were so expensive I couldn't justify changing from my current inexpensive rug.
I hit flea markets, go remnant scrounging at carpet stores, ask everyone I know if they have a carpet they want to get rid of.
And I find the thickness helps the stiffness and maintains a flat surface, even if put over uneven risers, stages with lots of badly-run cable, etc. Also, every rug is different, and some are lighter than others. Finding a good 5'x7' that's light, sturdy, keeps your kit in place, and is complimentary to your kit's color and style shouldn't be too hard.
Plus, if I forget my rug at a gig, it's only $10 down the tubes instead of $150 or whatever that some of the larger pro rugs would cost.

Reviving this thread ... I'm looking for a drum rug. My band practices in a garage with a concrete floor, and my hi-hat and kick are sliding away like crazy. Plus I'd like something between my kick and the concrete.

I checked on the rug backing mat sold by Nigosian Rug Co, they don't seem to still be in business (shopping cart doesn't work and mail bounces). There are some relatively cheap Oriental rugs online at Overstock.com but they're 0.625" thick, which is kind of plush. So I'm leaning towards an actual drum rug, even though they're crazy expensive. Right now I'm thinking Meinl (too bad they're ugly) or Protection Racket. PR also makes some rug markers which is pretty cool.

Any thoughts?

The rug they sell at Home Depot/Lowes is good. It's pretty light, rolls out flat, and it will hold tape marks just fine. Pretty cheap per foot too.
I've seen the rugs Bob is talking about, and if the kit or most of it fit, it's a decent choice too.
PR and Ahead rugs are probably worth the money if you are not someone who would forget to take it off the stage after a set.

I have the one by Nigosian. The company is about 5 miles from my work. Nice people.The sons are drummers, and they had a special coating put on the rubber backed pad.
They tried marketing it about 15 years ago (ads in MD and all that), but the cost was more than people would spend by the time shipping was involved.

It is however, the most awesome rug for drums E-VER. Things DO NOT move on this thing.
Too bad they don't sell them anymore :-( :-(
I bought the last two 6x8 pieces they'd sell going on 2 years ago, but, I asked for more stuff 3 years before that! It was on a giant roll in a truck, so they weren't going to get it out. Finally they did.
It didn't sell, so I don't blame them for not wanting to deal with a roll in a truck, off site....but yeah, it took me 5 years to get more haha!
They last me many years, so I figured it was a good $100 investment for the 2 pieces.
I would have bought more, but they chopped it up into smaller pieces for people to use like kitchen Chef mats. Booooo!

Edit: I scrolled down and saw Fussion's post, and holy cow, it's been 3 years since I got those two pieces!! Fussion is near me, great guy, and I sent him over there. He's since stopped playing--other things in life to do. Say's he doesn't miss the gigging at all, and will pick up a pair of sticks once in a great while.

And reviving again to say I got the Protection Racket rug on a Black Friday deal and it's pretty good. Thicker than the Crash Pad I had a while back, thinner than a real rug. It's like a huge welcome mat. Stiff when rolled up. I was a bit skeptical because it still slid a bit on the garage's stone floor when I rolled it out (the 'gel' backing feels more like rubber) but once I got the kit on it, it was rock solid. I keep my bass spurs out but the hat stand only has rubber feet ... didn't budge. Looks nice, too.

Minor complaint: the carrying bag is sold separately, is pricey, and is just a big ad for PR with poorly-placed handles (holding them doesn't keep the rug level, making it awkward to carry) but oh well.

Wzup Guys,

I've invented a product that solves bass drum creep and hi-hat/double kick pedal creep at the same time, on any and all floors!

The website for it is: www.kicklock.com

The site is only two weeks old and I've just started to promote it. There are a couple of good demonstration videos on the site. More videos will be added soon, as recent customers complete personal & endorsement videos for the website.

It works flawlessly, installs easy, stays attached during transport, and is very inexpensive!

Right now I'm giving away a very limited quantity of FREE KickLocks for promotion. If you contact me through the email

link on the site I may be able to get one out to you one before the promo is over.

Keep your groove with a KickLock,

Willie :)

Attachments

• sbk_m.jpg
    sbk_m.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 24,235
  • sb_m.jpg
    sb_m.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 22,669
^ that's interesting!

If you have a Home Goods in the area, check there for giant killer rugs for cheap. Home Goods is like the Ross for furniture, etc.

I bought this enormous shaggy rug there about a year ago. It's just big enough, and my boxer blends into it. The cymbals are ps'd because I wanted a layout of what I wanted.

Drummms.jpg

^ that's interesting!

If you have a Home Goods in the area, check there for giant killer rugs for cheap. Home Goods is like the Ross for furniture, etc.

I bought this enormous shaggy rug there about a year ago. It's just big enough, and my boxer blends into it. The cymbals are ps'd because I wanted a layout of what I wanted.

Drummms.jpg

At first, I thought the dog was some kind of odd-shaped, exotic drum throne, before I realized it's just a dog who likes drums and got caught in the shot! I have to admit though, there was a brief moment between those thoughts where it seemed like you were using a stuffed dog for a throne, haha.

Back