"Soul Survivor"?

con struct

Platinum Member
I've always thought that this is a great Rolling Stones song, right up there with "Jumping Jack Flash," only it's a lot more sleazy. It may be the song that best represents what the Rolling Stones were all about.

I don't get it. Why wasn't this released as a single. This song is the Rolling Stones, loose and bluesy and rocking like a badman, yet it was stuck away at the end of "Exile on Main Street," and as far as i know they've never played it live.

I was just listening to the thing, so that's why I started this thread, which should probably live a very short life.

Last edited:
Love it. It may be stuck away at the back, but it's keeping great company along side Shine A Light. Just a great track, from a truly great album, by an even greater band in their absolute prime. In fact other than I Just Want To See His Face, I don't think that album has another weak track, does it? Has been in high rotation on my album playlist for years.....never tire of it.

You really gotta book that flight mate. There's something we could do while the missus is away......I can think of a hell of a lot worse than a couple of weeks listening to Exile and sippin' whiskey. ;-)

Love it. It may be stuck away at the back, but it's keeping great company along side Shine A Light. Just a great track, from a truly great album, by an even greater band in their absolute prime. In fact other than I Just Want To See His Face, I don't think that album has another weak track, does it? Has been in high rotation on my album playlist for years.....never tire of it.

You really gotta book that flight mate. There's something we could do while the missus is away......I can think of a hell of a lot worse than a couple of weeks listening to Exile and sippin' whiskey. ;-)

I'd like nothing better. Unfortunately, I am a poor man, and my wife is a poor woman, and we've been made this way by the bloody president we voted for. I won't get started.

One of these days I will surprise you, Pocket! I'll make a brief stop in North Africa. Not for any specific purpose, I'l just just stop there, for just a day or two, and I won't leave the hotel the entire time.

Forgive me if I am an Asia fan too. I was just being objective.

Supergroups are hit or miss. Have there been any good ones in the last 10 years?

Last one I personally enjoyed was the Traveling Wilberrys.

"Stands out." What does that mean? You mean like a memorable hook or a snazzy guitar solo?

I listened a couple more times just so I can give a more objective opinion. It's not a bad song at all. I am a Stones fan and that is one of my favorite albums from any band, so don't get me wrong. It is a good riff, but very repetitive. It was mostly just verse and chorus. The piano break was cool and simple. The one time I thought the song might go into a bridge of some sort was around 3:00 minutes, but it turned out to be a small turnaround. I don't know, man, it just isn't something I'll be humming tomorrow. Good B side stuff though.

I don't know either. Would you consider A Perfect Circle a supergroup? They were pretty good.

Traveling Wilburys made the best supergroup album ever (Volume 1).

Lest we not forget Crosby Stills and Nash (Young) were a very influential supergroup too.

I've never enjoyed country music so I'd go for Blind Faith, Disraeli Gears or the first UK album as my preferred supergroup albums.

You think Traveling Wilburys is country music?

Traveling Wilburys has some elements of country, folk rock, roots rock, Americana, stuff like that. But I'd stop well short of calling them a country band.

Yeah, I have a low tolerance for it :)

As for the thread, I prefer Sticky Fingers ... Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Sister Morphine do it for me.

Listen to what the band's doing, though. They're playing that snaky jangling shambolic rock 'n roll that only the Stones could do back then. They can't do it now, I don't know why.

The Traveling WIlburys weren't country. If you had to I suppose you could place them in the folk-rock genre.

Back