Durable tom heads for metal

Designs Of Chaos

I have used Pinstripes for years, they worked well with my old Premier APK power toms, but my current kit is a Mapex Pro-M 'Short Stax' (10" x 5.5" & 12" x 6") and I want a bit more life out of them. The problem is I hit hard so want soemthing that's relatively durable. I just don't have the money to buy new heads every couple of months.

I was thinking of coated Ambassadors but was wondering if anyone else had any alternative recommendations. I don't have to stick with Remo if there's consensus on a quality Evans head - I already have a GMAD on my kick (which will also need replacement soon....)

A remo emperor clear, evans g2 clear, or aquarian response clear are all your double ply options from the "big 3" brands that will give you an increase in tone over remo pinstripes while still giving you the durability of pinstripes.

Aquarian Super 2's might be worth looking into. They also make Super 2's with studio X-rings built right in for added muffling. Even with the muffling theirs still a nice amount of life and tone that you can get from them.

The Aquarian Force 10's are the thickest two ply head on the market right now (not including power dots), and they have an amazing deep, clear, full sound.

I wouldn't think the coated emperors would give you the attack you need for the music you play. The coating takes away some attack and gives you more tone. I would probably say clear g2/emperors or the Evans G14 head. They're single ply heads (like the ambassadors) but their ply is as thick as most two ply heads like the g2/emperor. So they may be exactly what you're looking for

Back