18" kick batter head

gdrum1124

I recently purchased a Fiberskyn Powerstroke for my resonant side on my bass drum and I love it, but now I'm having difficulty finding a batter. I have a coated Ambassador, which is way too open for my taste and an Aquarian Superkick III coated which is too muffled and choked. Can you reccomend me a nice in between head?

An Aquarian Force I or Remo Powerstroke 3 (clear or coated) sounds right up your alley. Just enough muffling without going overboard like, IMO, every EMAD-style head on the market.
+1. A PS4 will also work.

Evans EQ4

Peace and goodwill.

Before you go buy a new head, try a couple things with the SKIII first...

Crank that head. Tighter than you would normally. Those heads can sing at higher tensions. Or as a last resort, take off the muffling ring. You will be left with basically a normal coated head with dot.

Or go with the Force recommendation. But I think tightening up that head will help a lot.

Good luck.

Before you go buy a new head, try a couple things with the SKIII first...

Crank that head. Tighter than you would normally. Those heads can sing at higher tensions. Or as a last resort, take off the muffling ring. You will be left with basically a normal coated head with dot.

Or go with the Force recommendation. But I think tightening up that head will help a lot.

Good luck.

I have cranked the head pretty high. That's when it gets choked. I have it at a medium low tuning to get maximum resonance. I'm also scared to rip off the outer muffling ring because I don't want something too close to the ambassador that I have

Some 18" bass drum batters I would suggest are :

Remo PS3 Fiberskyn
Remo PS3 clear or coated

Evans coated EMAD

Aquarian Modern Vintage Medium with felt strip attached.
Aquarian Superkick 1

I tried the Remo Powersonic, with the silly little snap-on pillow -- because it was given to me -- expecting to hate it.
Wrong. I like it, a lot.

With my 18" Emads, I've got three choices with one head. It comes with 2 muffling rings in different widths, or you can use it open without any rings.
I like it best with the narrower width ring.

I would try the unassuming remo pinstripe. I played one years ago and I put pinstripes on both sides (heck, there weren't PS3s or 4s back then) and tuned it down and it rocked. You want a bit of ring because ten feet in front of you nobody's going to hear that when the band is playing anyway.

You have to think wide open as the bass drum gets smaller.

I would try the unassuming remo pinstripe. I played one years ago and I put pinstripes on both sides (heck, there weren't PS3s or 4s back then) and tuned it down and it rocked. You want a bit of ring because ten feet in front of you nobody's going to hear that when the band is playing anyway.

You have to think wide open as the bass drum gets smaller.

I did try the pinstripe. As a matter of fact, I still have it. It still rang as much as the Coated Ambassador. I guess I could try it again with a little muffling. I do like a somewhat open tone, just not completely open like a straight ahead kick. I want it to be as versatile as possible.

I did try the pinstripe. As a matter of fact, I still have it. It still rang as much as the Coated Ambassador. I guess I could try it again with a little muffling. I do like a somewhat open tone, just not completely open like a straight ahead kick. I want it to be as versatile as possible.

Perhaps you didn't tune it down far enough? Try just above wrinkling and you may find that low gut punch you're looking for.

Perhaps you didn't tune it down far enough? Try just above wrinkling and you may find that low gut punch you're looking for.

I just tried it in all tuning ranges, and I muffled it after. It's just not working for me. I think I'm now torn between the EMAD and EQ4

Back