E drum kit advice

Stoney

Hi all

Thinking of buying an electric kit for practice / demo recording purposes. The Roland TD4KX2 or Yamaha DTX540 are the 2 I have in mind as they look pretty compact and not too much £££'s...

I've heard the Yamaha heads are better than the Roland but then again that came from a Yamaha endorser ;) Does anyone else have an opinion on this? The most import thing for me is the general feel rather than the onboard sounds as plan on just midi'ing it up with superior drummer, etc.

Also are there any other E-drum products out there worth having a look at? Would it be better and cheaper for me just to buy some midi box and pads separately?

Thanks for any advice.

Personally I feel the pads are the most important thing. they need to feel good or I won't play well.

For recording you will most likely have to use MIDI or you will not be able to get enough separate tracks unill you get up to the TD-20 level. anything with a midi out will do the same thing.

I also have had experience with mixing heads and pads, they never did work as well as a kit where it is all the same, I spent more time tweaking then playing

Since you live in the UK, you have three choices that are worth considering (depending on how much you want to spend)..the choices are: 2box, Roland & Yamaha...again I would look at all three. Since I'm not sure of the 2box price I'll exclude it from my next comment... if price is an issue, you get more bang for the buck with Yamaha...and their new TCS pads do feel really nice..:)

Yes I think it's going to have to be the Yamaha. The 2box looks good but not as compact as I would like (I plan on squeezing it out of the way under the stairs in my home).

..And yes rmandelbaum I guess it would be wiser to stick to the same manufacturer to avoid any crosstalk issues, etc.

Thanks guys...

Back