Double pedal with a smooth surface?

in my young drumming days I loved to play the drums with a double pedal. at some point I ditched it and started playing with a single pedal, to focus more on my hi-hat technique. as a side-effect, my right foot now hits much better, and all that by using the slide technique.

I wanna buy a double pedal again, I kinda miss it. but I wanna be able to slide on it.
the usual fight back in the day was eliminator vs cobra, I'm the guy who would swear by the cobra, but the texture of the pedal is so rough that I can't slide on it.
any pedal with similar feel as the Iron Cobra, but smoother surface? I've seen some Yamahas that are absolutely flat on top, not even carved letters or anything, that seems perfect.

I know it all comes down to feel, and I will go and try pedals out, just asking to be sure I won't miss anything.

thank you all for the replies.

the speed cobra is considered a "longboard" pedal, right? would that affect my posture or drumseat position on the set? I've heard of people having this issue.

TColumbia37, I searched a bit and the only DW pedal that doesn't seem "rough" is the 9002. is that the one you use?

also thanks JosephDAqui, I'll definitely try the Yamahas then.

the speed cobra is considered a "longboard" pedal, right? would that affect my posture or drumseat position on the set? I've heard of people having this issue.

TColumbia37, I searched a bit and the only DW pedal that doesn't seem "rough" is the 9002. is that the one you use?

I played 5000s for a couple of years, and recently switched to 9000s. I play with shoes on and never have problems. If anything, my feet slide too much.

Speed Cobras do have a longer board, but that shouldn't affect anything.

Yamaha makes great products. You can't go wrong with their pedals.

Axis and trick pedals have a smooth surface foot boards as well....I currently own and use Axis Derek Roddy sig. and Vector Axis pedals...love them and actually can't see myself ever changing from them...

Yes, Axis are quite smooth. (Depending on the version) They have that Axis logo laser-cut and you do feel it slightly but it's neglectable for slide technique. I like the smoothness of Axis pedals (got myself a pair of used Longboards recently).

There's another way to get a smooth surface if you prefer the feel of a certain pedal but the footplate isn't as smooth as you want - modding it to your liking. I never liked that carved footplate on my dw2002 double pedal so at one point I decided to mod it. Sure a mod will probably ruin the reselling value but for me it was worth it - more playing fun and hey, those pedals didn't cost a lot to begin with.

Here's what I did:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97507

The first few days after the mod the pedal felt 'slippery' but I got used to and like it a lot. I also flexed down the heel area so those shortboards would have some more longboard feel.

yeah i love the newer Yamaha pedals. i have HH & single (strap). Really great action & fab if you woodshed or play in bare-feet. Agreed on checking Axis as well. more $$ but something to consider if you are looking toward Kollias level speed w/ a bit better hardware.

thanks again for the responses.

scorch whammin, I've tried some Axis pedals, they feel really smooth and light but I don't see myself ever playing at Kollias speeds, so the extra bucks I'd have to spend on them seem like an overkill!

Arky, I never understood why the 2000s have that rough surface on the heel. Good job on getting rid of them! also nice work on smoothing down the footplate, at first I didn't see it so that means you did a good job (if it also feels good!).
But to be honest I wouldn't buy an expensive Iron Cobra to try to bring it to my own taste the same day.
How about the Chrome Iron Cobra? Looks a bit ugly for my taste, but it must have the slipping surface of a banana. Do they still sell these or should I look for a used one?

/e hehe double_G, I was typing when you posted. nice that we both brought Kollias as an example :p

I tried the Speed Cobra and liked it - but liked the Yamaha better, and that's what I went with.
The DW9000 pedal doesn't really look smooth at a glance. But I think it's because of the slotted heel pad. The actual pedal part is pretty smooth and my foot moves easily on it.

For heavily modifying a pedal, like taking a grinder or sander to it - I'd only do it with something used.

You want to know what you can achieve with a DW9000 single pedal? Watch this video of Thomas Pridgen and see. Crazy slide technique. Helps to have a nice thick sock as well lol.

Lets see if this works, I copied the URL with the video at the time he starts to play....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3KWI6yiIGgo#t=170

yep, the video worked as you wanted.
call me paranoid but the DW he uses doesn't have the huge 900 letters carved on it, maybe it's a different surface?
Pridgen is such a beast.

call me paranoid but the DW he uses doesn't have the huge 900 letters carved on it, maybe it's a different surface?
Pridgen is such a beast.

dw pedals come with a specs stickers on the pedals. that sticker wasnt removed, thats why it looks different. :)

dw.png

Pridgen is such a beast.

Yeah he is a character for sure. Incredible will and determination to learn his craft. If you so desire you can take a look at these videos as well, just for something to watch. I have to say he's one of the more technically inspiring, free willed drummers out there. He's not afraid to mix it up and fail in front of a crowd while learning new things at the same time. Here is video one and I believe there are three of them. You want to be humbled and inspired at the same time, these are the ones to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=482mqSNo6E4

As for the pedal. Yes it's the 9000, you can tell by the colors of it and especially the big bulky cam lol. As v.zarate pointed out, the reason you don't see the numbers is because he left the protective plastic "sleeve" on the pedal for that added slippery effect to help with the slide technique lol.

As for a smooth pedal, like others have said and to keep it at a friendly price range, it has to be Yamaha. Next would probably be the Mapex Falcons, followed by the Speed Cobra and DW9000.

I've played the Speed Cobras for about a week until I returned them for the Iron Cobra Power Glides. The pedal was just far too light under my foot, I didn't like the action of the longer footboard and could never find a good position for my right foot. So I went with the IC which is a more standard footboard, although a tad longer than say a standard board like DW's and weighs much more which helps me control it better. Although since playing the IC for many weeks now and trying out my DW3000's again, I feel the IC footboard and build of it is far, far too heavy for me but has the frictionless feel and speed I like. I can do heel toe quite well now on both but find I like the detailed feedback I get from the DW footboard.

To cut this short and yes I too am now a believer as I thought going to the Speed Cobra was going to be the best and final move for a pedal, that you must put your feet to them and play around as much as possible before deciding. I personally don't have the guts to do that in a Guitar Center, so from now on I may have to buy used, test and then return after I'm done. I really wish I could try the Mapex Raptor as that is direct drive, to see how I liked DD and if I do would probably go with the Yamaha such as wildbill did. If nothing else, I believe because of the footboard size and action of the DW9000, that it will be the one I aim for in the end. Perfect footboard and impeccable feel and speed like the Iron and Speed Cobra. Best of both worlds for me IMO.

Just about all of them are fine for playing with socks, I even used to play my iron cobra with socks too. I agree that it isn't ideal but I managed to work with it.

I have the dw9000, mapex falcon and also owned the pearl demon drive and they were all smooth as you needed them to be.

Last edited:

Why on earth would it affect your posture or position? It's a pedal, it doesn't change the way you sit. Sit where you want, use the posture that you want, try the pedal - it'll either work for you or it won't. If it works, buy the pedal. If it doesn't, try something else.

Why on earth would it affect your posture or position? It's a pedal, it doesn't change the way you sit. Sit where you want, use the posture that you want, try the pedal - it'll either work for you or it won't. If it works, buy the pedal. If it doesn't, try something else.

well, chill, a friend of mine switched from iron to speed, and he told me he had to change position so that he could feel comfortable again.

all in all, thanks guys, I'm going to the local drumstore on Monday to check their Yamahas. the 9500 series seems really cool!

I kinda know what he means about the posture thing. With long boards, the pedal board gives way under your foot more easily than it does with regular boards. With regular boards your foot rests closer to the hinge where there's more leverage. So keeping your balance or bracing yourself is a little different.

OP, I'll add that I think it's harder to use your slide technique with long boards. I personally don't like it and prefer short boards in that instance, but I think my mapex falcons are excellent pedals.

Back