Early/Mid 90's Swingstar Hardware

StickIt

I have a 4-piece (12, 13, 14, 22) Swingstar that is currently my only kit...I bought it used, and it was improperly stored for a few years; the wrap is starting to loosen on the kick and the 13 suspended tom.

I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on the grade of hardware used on these kits. I am toying with the notion of re-wrapping them myself, but I am also toying with the notion of just holding off and saving for a kit from Precision. If I knew whether it was a worthwhile investment to rewrap them right now, I might go for it, but I think it'd be good to have a gigging and a separate practice kit too.

Anywho...opinions?

BTW, I am not thinking of getting rid of these drums, and I will invest in the wrap at some point, but I will probably invest in new hardware and make a fun project out of it later on if I decide to go with option 2.

Swingstar's were discontinued right around 1989.

A swingstar from that era is not really worth re-wrapping. It would cost more to re-wrap then the drums are worth.

But saving the hardware to use on other shells isn't a bad idea. As long as there is no signs of rust or corrosion, I can't see why not.

Swingstar's were discontinued right around 1989.

Oh! I was searching a few weeks back, trying to date them, and I saw a pic of a kit with the same kind of lugs on it, and the poster stated that Tama used them on kits in the 90's...I should've just asked here!

A swingstar from that era is not really worth re-wrapping. It would cost more to re-wrap then the drums are worth.

Well, it was cheap, lol. I might've guessed that...guess I'll have to get that second kit, darn the luck! (evil grin)

But saving the hardware to use on other shells isn't a bad idea. As long as there is no signs of rust or corrosion, I can't see why not.

Sounds like a good idea...I've cleaned all the hardware as good as I could without removing it (Never Dull), and it's all still in decent shape.

Well, thanks for the reply!

Back