Top Cowbell songs!

They missed the two most cowbell-laden songs of the last40 years or so: Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me & My Monkey, and Grazing In The Grass (Hugh Masakela version, a large hit.) They both have 16th note cowbell running all the way through!!

Like most 'lists', they're far from perfect, or accurate.

Bermuda

I know this wasn't. going too make the list but "You fool no one" by Deep Purple has incredible cowbell work.

Bonzolead

Interesting to note that the cowbell on Honky Tonk Women is not played by Charlie...

Interesting to note that the cowbell on Honky Tonk Women is not played by Charlie...

I knew Charlie didn't play it, but I didn't know who did. Now I know. Drummerworld rocks.

One of my favorite cowbell tracks is 'Slim Jenkin's Joint' my Booker T & The MGs. Such a catchy groove.

"(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Oyster Cult - has to be the greatest cowbell song (even though it was overdubbed by the producer apparently......)

Fog on the Thyne by Lindisfarne has 2 sweet cowbell shots before every chorus. Just the cowbell, allowed to sing in glory all on its own.

They missed the two most cowbell-laden songs of the last40 years or so: Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me & My Monkey, and Grazing In The Grass (Hugh Masakela version, a large hit.) They both have 16th note cowbell running all the way through!!

Like most 'lists', they're far from perfect, or accurate.

Bermuda

Well, the list is some-what tongue in cheek, since it's inspired SNL parody. The cowbell on Me & My Monkey is blended in with the shakers and other percussion instruments, so the cowbell doesn't stand out quite in the same way. The list was looking for loud quarter note songs that would fit in with what Will Ferrel's character was doing.

And it was written from a guitarist's perspective, not a drummers, so it's completely silly, which is I why I had to post it, just for the silliness of it all.

And to be honest, I bought my cowbell when I a teenager after listen to Guns and Roses "Appetite for Destruction" album way too much. I wanted to be able to match those parts.

The manager at the drum shop I was working in was a good latin player, and he knew I didn't know how to play a latin beat to save my life at the time. So he started giving me the 3rd degree about picking out a cowbell "what rhythms are you going to play with that?" "What patterns do you know? what is the purpose of this cowbell?" haha... All I'm thinking is "I want to play quarter notes like Steven Adler" Too funny.

Back