Jojo Mayer

In my opinion, prabably the best drummer playing right now. I mean who could you think of that's better? He has the best hand technique i've ever seen and his dvd is amazing.

I like JoJo even more after watching clips from his DVD, he comes across as an intelligent, thoughtful and funny guy. I find personality affects my judgment of drummers a great deal, I find arrogance distasteful.

i've watched only the first DVD so far....three times. Planning on going thru disc Two soon.

definitely a good video, still cant believe the only thing a guy who used to instruct me said,'he just talks a lot...' geeez....
anyway, is this Jojo's first and only instructional document so far? or does he have any other instructional dvds/books

Reckon Jojo is a prime example of how the mastery of technique allows one's musical vocabulary, for fullest expression of one's self.

I've just gone thru the 1st half of the DVD and it is one of the best instructional videos I have ever seen.

The logic behind hand techniques could not be explained /demonstrated better IMO. Its a one-stop place for answers to a lot of threads that people might have on the forum about hand techniques, issues , problems, tips, visualizations, positions etc

its also extremely well produced, demonstrating everything from every angle, in slow motion, impact areas etc.

Britt, since the man's musical vision is to reverse engineer and recreate the computer live & acoustically, I would'nt be surprised that he sounds like one ; )

........and a dang good one at that!

Last edited:
where can I find other stuff he has played on?? ( Nerve, prohibited beats etc) I have screaming headless torsos....crazy and great playing.

I've just gone thru the 1st half of the DVD and it is one of the best instructional videos I have ever seen.

The logic behind hand techniques could not be explained /demonstrated better IMO. Its a one-stop place for answers to a lot of threads that people might have on the forum about hand techniques, issues , problems, tips, visualizations, positions etc

its also extremely well produced, demonstrating everything from every angle, in slow motion, impact areas etc.

Britt, since than man's musical vision is to reverse engineer and recreate the computer live & accoustically, I would be surprised that he sounds like one ; )

........and a dang good one at that!

Thanks Abe,
You just cinced it for me. Im ordering it now.

Early in this thread somebody intimated that JoJo just came to drum and bass as a way to make a niche for himself, that he didn't truly understand drum and bass, and was just playing fast boomdabooms. I think that's just silly. To me, JoJo more embodies the drum and bass aesthetic with his single bass pedal and hi-hat than some cat with 9 pedals and a bunch of splash cymbals.

Man, I'd love to have Jojo's hand technique.

Kudos to him for making such an awesome drum DVD (Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer) as well as his brilliant performance for the 2005 MD Festival.

Confession time here. Although I've known of Jojo for a while now and seen video of him, I've only recently (past several weeks) really started truly appreciating him and seeking more of Jojo.

Good grief, this guy is amazing ! I must get some recordings with him.

Back