Noise complaints with TD-11k :-(

runs

I followed this post on VDrums (slightly different size though): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/g...pact-noise-isolating-platform?_=1386541986307

But..I'm still getting complaints with the following setup:

- 2 : 3x5 MDF boards (vdrum post had dimention of 37 inches by 67 inches)
- 13 symmetrical tennis balls set up the same as MisterMR (3, 2, 3, 2, 3)
- 4 super sliders (Instead of the rubber feet lowes only had these: furniture sliders: foam/felt http://amzn.com/B001WAK5UW )
- Rug on top. overlapping the sides and the side of the throne.

Some ideas I have is two remove 2 tennis balls and add new rubber feet from amazon: http://amzn.com/B000KL2BXI

Notes: I live on the 2nd floor of a two family house. The floor is all carpet but most of the time squeaks when I walk. Its not hardwood floors underneath (probably planks of some sort)

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you followed MisterMr's instructions to the letter so not sure what else you can do to reduce sound transmission through the floor.
If your kick drum pad is the biggest culprit (it's a rubber pad with the TD11K right?), I can only suggest trading it in for one of these (or 2 if you use double bass) http://triggera.com/kick-pedal-trigger
If acoustic noise from your toms/ cymbals is also an issue there are always these sticks http://lidwishsoulutions.com/ultra_tones.asp
Just some easy, cost effective noise solutions you may not have thought of.

Thank you for the replies shemp and toddmc!

I just looked under my platform and noticed that the legs aren't really holding it very much off the ground. In fact the center of the platform is touching my lower rug. So I'm going to try new feet and maybe foam under the rug.

I have the same sorta problem you are having....I talk to my neighbors to keep the peace and get their feedback....the auralex stuff is spendy, but they commented that they noticed a real improvement after I put that stuff in....if that helps any

I have the same sorta problem you are having....I talk to my neighbors to keep the peace and get their feedback....the auralex stuff is spendy, but they commented that they noticed a real improvement after I put that stuff in....if that helps any

Yeah a bit too pricey for me atm after just buying the drum set and platform about grand at this point.

Are you using the auralex stuff together with the platform?

This is huge bummer; I want to play without the feeling that I'm inconveniencing someone else.

I had this foam that my guitar was packed in. cut it into 4 pieces and now using it as feet. I'll have to call them sometime this week to see if it helped.

The expense is a bummer....I agree! I'm not sure exactly what you are using so I can't really say whether it is good or bad...but you should read about things like mass loaded vinyl and other dense shock absorbing materials. Those recycled tire welcome mats are like $12 each and might also help to isolate your kick pedal and hat pedal from the floor or platform you are using.

If you have a wood platform on top of the tennis balls, try the welcome mats on top of the carpet that is on your wood platform...

Yes, I'm using the Hoverdeck...which by itself is pretty great...and on top of it I use the Hovermat. The Hovermat is sorta like mass loaded vinyl...I'm going to add a second Hoverdeck on top of that when resources allow.

Surprisingly, the shock from a std hihat pedal can really add to the rumble heard below....I know mine did and still does, but to a much lesser degree. I check in with my neighbors a few times a month and try to work with them on timing...within reason.

To be honest, living in an apartment block is a real issue for any drummer and everything you do will only reduce the noise problem but never completely eliminate it.

I was living in an recently-built apartment block with double-glazed windows, thick layers of concrete, underfloor heating and thick walls. Could barely hear any noise from neighbours (even when they had parties!) but my DTX was getting me loads of complaints from upstairs, downstairs, and next door. I built a platform with tennis balls, bought rugs, gym mats, carpet underlays, rubber feet, soft tip sticks, you name it. I never played after 10pm but neighbours were never happy.

I eventually moved out and am now living in a house where I built a wooden shed in the back garden, away from everybody.

I'm trying to discourage you but the best thing to do is to build a good relationship with your neighbours and be considerate. That's the only thing that will definitely work.

To be honest, living in an apartment block is a real issue for any drummer and everything you do will only reduce the noise problem but never completely eliminate it.

I was living in an recently-built apartment block with double-glazed windows, thick layers of concrete, underfloor heating and thick walls. Could barely hear any noise from neighbours (even when they had parties!) but my DTX was getting me loads of complaints from upstairs, downstairs, and next door. I built a platform with tennis balls, bought rugs, gym mats, carpet underlays, rubber feet, soft tip sticks, you name it. I never played after 10pm but neighbours were never happy.

I eventually moved out and am now living in a house where I built a wooden shed in the back garden, away from everybody.

I'm trying to discourage you but the best thing to do is to build a good relationship with your neighbours and be considerate. That's the only thing that will definitely work.

Yikes! I can't give up hope just yet. I just installed new legs of "egg foam" about 4 inches high. Hope this helps a lot.

A dedicated drum shed/studio would be ideal for sure.

Yikes! I can't give up hope just yet. I just installed new legs of "egg foam" about 4 inches high. Hope this helps a lot.

Forgive my typo. It should have read "I'm not trying to discourage you…"

Don't give it up as any small improvement is worth it, but work on your relationship with them cause there will always be some noise.

Sorry to labour the point here, but have you even considered my Triggera suggestion (and no, I am NOT affiliated with the company in any way, just someone who loves the product).
You seem to be doing everything in your power to eliminate the symptoms of the noise without worrying about the cause of it.
I realise as drummers (even e-drummers), our first instinct is to soundproof everything as much as humanly possible (or as much as our budget will allow).
After building the room in my garage (which wasn't all that soundproof even with R3 rated insulation) I started looking into alternatives which are only available to e-drummers and have found this to be the easiest/ cheapest solution by far.
By all means, continue down the road of more and more soundproofing if you wish, but just be aware that other alternatives exist : )

Hi Toddmc, that will be my next move if my new legs don't work.

I've attached photos and will try to play them tomorrow during reasonable hours.

2d8l11w.jpg

2cfvay0.jpg

What do you think?

Just a quick query to Toddmc - if you're referring to the Krigg kick pedal trigger, are they only available online and what's the approx cost to get them in Australia?
I've got similar concerns living in a unit and have been considering a quiet alternative like the Krigg trigger pads.

Just a quick query to Toddmc - if you're referring to the Krigg kick pedal trigger, are they only available online and what's the approx cost to get them in Australia?
I've got similar concerns living in a unit and have been considering a quiet alternative like the Krigg trigger pads.

Hey Han (great username BTW)- will go back and look through the old finances and get back to you (it was certainly less than all that soundproofing, I can tell you)!
Only available online as far as I know, yes.
There is also a member here (username: triggera) who is the owner (I think) of the company who can help you out as well.

Thanks Todd - I've had some assistance from triggera before so I'll email him directly about the likely cost to have 1 or 2 sent here.

A question for runs: what part/s of your ekit produce the most surface impact noise when hitting cymbals, hi-hat, pad rims, etc. I've fitted soft rubber tubing pieces to my drumstick tips which tend to deaden the contact noise from hitting the rubber pads.
Your raised platform will help reduce some noise transfer but you should also consider any openings in the room (doors & windows) that may need better sound insulation.

Last edited:
I've attached photos and will try to play them tomorrow during reasonable hours.

What do you think?

Wow that's some serious padding… I'd be curious to hear what difference it makes to your neighbours, although that is sometimes very hard to judge (from my experience their perception of noise varies from day to day and could be influenced from anything to someone having the telly on, to them having a bad day in work).

I'd also be concerned about the amount of bouncing that your solution might cause to the kit when you play it.

Hey guys.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
BTW, we're working on some new products/triggers that will be available very soon ...

Drummer world discount? ;-) (just in case my new legs don't work I may consider your kick)

Though shipping and duty fees to the US will most likely make it a very expensive pedal.

Back