Roland TD-9KX vs TD-11KV

hotpocket

Hey guys, I was thinking about buying a decent e kit and was wondering if it would be worth it to spend the money on a new TD-11KV or go with a used TD-9KX or even a TD-4KX2.

I won't be gigging or anything with it. I just need something that is quiet that I can practice on with good sound and customization. Any thoughts on these kits? I don't know if we can discuss prices here at all so I'll refrain from putting what the used prices are.

At the moment I'm leaning going cheaper, a la the TD9KX or the TD4KX2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I love my TD4KX2. My drum teacher has a TD9 that is a couple of years old. My TD4 has better cymbal pads, strangely.

I like the all mesh heads of my TD4. I would definitely not buy any kits with the plastic pads. His TD9 has the bigger beefier mesh pads. They definitely look better, and they have actual rims, making rim shots easier. However the mesh pads themselves seem to be the same, so there really isnt that much of a difference other than the rims. The Hi hats are the same - you have to spend a lot to get the fancy 2 piece hi hat. I like the bass drum "pad" on my kit better than his TD9 b/c his seems to move around a bit more.

The big other difference is that the brain on the TD9 is a lot more sophisticated than the TD4. But, he TD4 can do a lot. The 25 drum kits are more than enough and you can further customize them within each kit quite a bit (tuning, muffling, and mixing and matching different percussion pieces). My favorite kit is "heavy" which sounds very similar to a Bonham kit with brass or steel snares. The metronome is more functional than my Tama Rhythm Watch. I also upgraded my TD4 to add a second crash cymbal and purchased a Simmons 200w amp for playing gigs.

All in all, I would find whatever is in your price range. There is a BIG price jump between the TD4 and the 9 & 11 kits. Nearly double the price. I do not think it is worth it. If you are just looking for an e-kit to practice on, the TD4 is quite adequate. I would also scope out Craig's list for a while. I got my TD4 used right after the new models came out for under $1000. Quite hard to beat that!

I love my TD4KX2. My drum teacher has a TD9 that is a couple of years old. My TD4 has better cymbal pads, strangely.

I like the all mesh heads of my TD4. I would definitely not buy any kits with the plastic pads. His TD9 has the bigger beefier mesh pads. They definitely look better, and they have actual rims, making rim shots easier. However the mesh pads themselves seem to be the same, so there really isnt that much of a difference other than the rims. The Hi hats are the same - you have to spend a lot to get the fancy 2 piece hi hat. I like the bass drum "pad" on my kit better than his TD9 b/c his seems to move around a bit more.

The big other difference is that the brain on the TD9 is a lot more sophisticated than the TD4. But, he TD4 can do a lot. The 25 drum kits are more than enough and you can further customize them within each kit quite a bit (tuning, muffling, and mixing and matching different percussion pieces). My favorite kit is "heavy" which sounds very similar to a Bonham kit with brass or steel snares. The metronome is more functional than my Tama Rhythm Watch. I also upgraded my TD4 to add a second crash cymbal and purchased a Simmons 200w amp for playing gigs.

All in all, I would find whatever is in your price range. There is a BIG price jump between the TD4 and the 9 & 11 kits. Nearly double the price. I do not think it is worth it. If you are just looking for an e-kit to practice on, the TD4 is quite adequate. I would also scope out Craig's list for a while. I got my TD4 used right after the new models came out for under $1000. Quite hard to beat that!

Thanks good response. So what would be the main difference between the TD4 and TD9 modules? Simply more kits and a better sound? Would I be able to adjust the size and tuning of the different triggers on the TD4?

Also I will be getting a drumming program (either Addicting drums or Toontrack) that will take care of any acoustic feeling kits, which may allow me to opt for a cheaper TD4. Also the used TD9KX I was looking at was $1200 (and it also comes with a DW 7000 double bass pedal), but I think I could haggle it for a $1000.

The TD9 just does more. It has more kits and more inputs/outputs, more recording capability (the TD4 just has a quick record and playback function). I have never hooked up either to a computer so I can't speak much to their capabilities there. I would look more at them on the website. I know the TD9 already has a USB port (you have to buy a midi to USB cord for the TD4).

I think the TD9 has something like 4 or 5 TIMES more instrument sounds than the TD4. I still think the TD4 has pretty much 95% of what I am looking for - I have never been upset because its missing an odd kit sound or two. If you are looking for really eclectic sounds, you might want to try the TD9. Otherwise the TD4 has everything I need - light, heavy, studio, arena, vintage, trashy, hip-hop, jazz, brushes, regaee, etc. There are 25 kits total, and 125 different instrument sounds on the TD4.

I am not sure what you mean by "better sound" as its all digital, so the sound isnt really better between the two. In fact, they share many of the same kit sounds.

I am not sure what you mean by adjusting the size and tuning of the triggers. The drum pads can physically be moved. They each have 6 screw "lugs" that can be tightened to affect rebound when you hit them. You cant really adjust the size of the pads themselves, short of switching them out with different pads, which should be possible with both kids.

The sounds themselves can be tuned, muffled, given reverb, and adjusted for volume and sensitivity. Within each kit you can swap out the instrument that each pad triggers. For example. you could adjust the floor tom pad to be a 14" maple, a 16" maple, an 18" vistalite, or even a cow bell or ride cymbal. I have one kit saved in which the pads triggers a cow bell, shaker, tambourine, and snare.

$1200 is a great deal for a TD9 if it is in good condition, especially with the pedal (you still need a great pedal for e-drums) I imagine its the new model right? The new models included a lot of upgrades. E-drums are amazing since they are pieces of sensitive electrical equipment designed to be banged on heavily by drum sticks. However, sometimes they break and wear out, so make sure the check the kit thoroughly first. Probably the most common issue with recent Roland kits is clogged cymbal triggers. As the cymbals are banged, a bit of the rubber wears away inside the trigger and clogs up the trigger. The issue can be fixed by opening up the cymbal and cleaning the trigger, but you have to be careful doing it. I have only had it happen to my hi-hat (it triggered inconsistently when playing fast patterns), but it was easy to fix when I pulled it open. Roland would not honor my warranty because i bought it used. Just something to be aware of.

On what planet can you find the TD9 KX2 for $1000????

Here in Europe the TD9 KX2 is like minimum 1700€

I bought the TD4-KX2 for around $890 and I'm indeed satisfied with it.
Like the guy mentioned before, the price-jump between the TD4 and the TD9 is too insane and since this will be used for home practicing usage then maybe the TD4 is suitable.

If you are able to find the TD9 for one grand - which is an outright bonkers price for it, what are you standing around here for? Go! Go! GO! GO!

I believe the TD11 is the replacement for the TD4. The TD15 is replacing the TD9. So the TD9 may still be better than the TD11, as it's further up the ladder.

That may not be entirely accurate, but that's what I've been told by a guy who seems to know his stuff when it comes to Roland.

Interesting. You are right. The TD11K is the new TD4 replacement and the TD15 appears to replace the 9. But, looking at pictures, it looks like the main differences are in the brain. The tom and cymbal pads on both the TD11KV and TD15 look identical to my TD4KX2

On what planet can you find the TD9 KX2 for $1000????

Here in Europe the TD9 KX2 is like minimum 1700€

I bought the TD4-KX2 for around $890 and I'm indeed satisfied with it.
Like the guy mentioned before, the price-jump between the TD4 and the TD9 is too insane and since this will be used for home practicing usage then maybe the TD4 is suitable.

If you are able to find the TD9 for one grand - which is an outright bonkers price for it, what are you standing around here for? Go! Go! GO! GO!

It's not the KX2, just KX. Not totally sure what the difference is, and it is used.

I think I'm going to go check out the TD9KX from the person selling it and may end up buying it. Seems like a good deal if it all works well, and from what I can see it's a pretty sweet kit.

Thanks for the help

Back