Frank Beard

The first two albums, to me were like seeing Jesus drop from the sky. I loved most of their albums but the first two were amazing.

They were Texas music and I remember where I was the first time I heard them.

Great band, eh?

Yes I agree , I cut them off sometime after MTV discovered them.

Just Got Back From Baby's had nothing in common with Legs

Sorry if I contradict

Last edited:
First concert I ever saw was on my 16th birthday, 1983 in Nashville...ZZ Top, The Eliminator Tour. Sammy Hagar, aka The Red Rocker, opened for them. Sweet show!

I don't remember my first show but it was in San Antonio. I think I've seen them 4 times including opening for the Stones at the Astrodome in the early '80's. I think the message Top sent to the Brits that night was you're on our turf now. Have Mercy.

I always like Frank Beard's drumming but I hated Eliminator. Imagine my relief when I learned it was all drum machine (at least the hits were, never listened to the whole thing ...)

770aaf930b026b033997ab289e245e98.jpg

Looks like an OBP Super Classic he's playing. Wonder if this was the same kit used on the Rio Grande Mud and Tres Hombres albums?

Some more:
tumblr_lrole9e1p91qdwxcqo1_500.jpg

ZZ_Top_1971.jpg

An OBP double bass kit circa 1970-71.

51132799f6f5dacde2a67a7420bda50e.jpg

Butcher Block Rogers during the "Fandango!" era.

Last edited:
Frank went into the studio to lay down drum tracks and was not happy that his pals had used the drum machine. lol

On Master of Sparks there's a line, We were out in the sticks off of Highway 6. I remember when Hwy 6 was like that. Houston's megalopolis growth changed that long ago.

One day when I go to that empty hall in the sky I'll have someone play Mexican Blackbird as a send off.

"They all call her puta
Cause no one really knows her name."

Drive that old Chrysler down to Mexico.

:)

I recently purchased "ZZ Top...Live From Texas" DVD concert.

I watched it last night...

He is a truly solid, no nonsense player....

I was in hysterics when he played with one hand on snare/hats while he lit up a cigarette.

I didn't know the man smoked.....

He tried to do it without anyone noticing for a while, then he thought.."I am Frank Beard...who cares!!!"

I didn't know you are allowed to smoke in public venues anymore....not here in Australia anyways...

A great concert and drum lesson, the man is a true rock drummer....

Thinking about the shuffle, brought my mind right around to Frank.

There are so many ZZ Top songs in which he brings a simple but perfectly groovin feel...very hard to emulate. I love (LOVE) playing Waitin' For the Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago!!

Not a lot of posts on this thread, but when you search for shuffle, or blues drummers, or favorite drummers, there are a fair amount of posts; and Bernhard has some good stuff on him as well.

Back