Hi-hat stand and clutch quality

Dignan

Silver Member
I recently picked up some used Z New Beat 14" hi-hats. They are old but sound much better to me than my old hats. I'm using a lower to mid range hi-hat stand and clutch. My question is how much does the stand and clutch effect the sound of the hats. Will upgrading these make a huge difference? Thanks.

My upgrade to a 9000 from a Roadpro noticeably improved my playing of foot-intensive work. Sound wise, however, there's not that much difference. Some of the stands on the market with rubber bottom felts and clutches with rubber stuff (like the Mapex Falcon) might affect it more but I haven't tried those out.

My main concern about clutches is their destructive potential much more than their sound. Poor-quality clutches are threaded on the section where the cymbal sits. That’s asking for unwanted wear and tear on the cymbal hole.

My main concern about clutches is their destructive potential much more than their sound. Poor-quality clutches are threaded on the section where the cymbal sits. That’s asking for unwanted wear and tear on the cymbal hole.

I use the Gibraltar Quick-Release clutch. I don't think you can really ask for a better one (unfortunately, it's a little too big for Tama rods. I'm not sure if it would stay on as well, but it works perfectly on the large-size rods like Pearl, Gibraltar, DW, etc.)

Except that the Gibraltar clutch is threaded at the cymbal. I like the Remo Quicklock clutch; a shame it isn't cheaper.

I don't really give my hat stand much thought. I own many of them in all price ranges.
As long as the spring can raise the top cymbal smooth enough and fast enough for me to play then I am happy.

Im not sure the stand would make a difference, I use regularly DW 9000, with the Gibraltar quick release clutch. very old DW 5000 with a Gibraltar drop clutch and a mid 80s TAMA with a mid 80s TAMA clutch, While they do feel different i don't hear a difference.

A little off topic, I use the Gibraltar quick release on my gig kit and I love it! I use the TAMA quick release cymbal nuts on all the stands. At 1:00 AM tearing down you learn to appreciate anything that makes it easier ;-)

Back