wich head is the best for this bubinga snare?

jnogueira

Hi guys. I've just purchased a Ddrum Dios snare. Its made of bubinga, it's a 13"x7" and i thought that with 7" i would get a lower tone... Ok, now that you know my snare specs, wich drumhead would you recommend me to get, so i can get the best profit of it's sound? i've tought getting an evans hd dry, a power center, or a genera dry. i want a lower tone and a nice cut sound. if i can change that with the tunning, please tell me. thanks, i appreciate your help!

If you want a low tone then you just tune the head low. However, if you want something durable then go with a 2 ply and something more musical and open go with a 1 ply. I am not a Big Evans Guy but an all those dry vent heads muffle the snare too much.... go with an, evans hd or coated g2 or remo powerstroke 3 or a remo cs black dot.... Those would be my choices....

I like the sound and response of the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot batter on my Tama Starclassic Bubinga snare.

Dennis

I like the sound and response of the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot batter on my Tama Starclassic Bubinga snare.
I definitely think you'd be happy with this choice. Also, your choice in snares is going to make a pretty large difference in the sound that you get out of the drum. I'd recommend checking out the Puresound Custom Pro Brass 20 strand to contrast the deep shell yet allow the drum to speak.

i want a lower tone and a nice cut sound.
If you need more durability, Evans EC Snare has a low, fat tone. The EC Reverse Dot model also cuts quite well.

If durability is not an issue, Genera and Genera Dry have a warm, fat sound, and are very easy to tune too.

I used both the EC Snare and Genera Dry on my birch 13x7, and both have their strong points. EC Snare won for me because of its far superior durability (I would buy an EC Reverse Dot, but no shop around here carries it).

If it doesn't have to be an Evans head, I'd suggest trying a Remo coated CS. Link
I personally found that the Evans HD Dry was too dry for me, which is why I switched to this head. Other than my snare though, I use all evans heads, and I couldn't be happier with them.

-Jonathan

Back