Is there a metronome that can go silent briefly?

zazylaw

Hi all;

I'm wondering if anyone has come across any sort of metronome product that has an option to occasionally go silent for a short period of time, and then resume clicking?

Basically I want to be able to practice to the metronome, have it go silent at some point (while it's still keeping time), and then see how close to staying on beat I was when the volume comes back on.

Kinda the same idea as when you tap your foot along to the radio in your car, turn the volume low for a bit, then bring it back up to see if you stayed on beat.

Anyway, thanks ahead of time for any responses!

I work with the Boss Dr.Beat Metrnome, DB30. It has a volume control on the side, but keeps on with a visual indicator.
Works great, small, cheap and rugged. Dropped it many times without issue.

Hope that helps.

I've wondered about this too. I'm sure some of the more high-tech drum machines could do this sort of thing.

Otherwise, if you have a computer with recording capabilities you can record your metronome playing for 4 bars, then manually turn the volume down for 4 bars, then turn it back up. Voila!

It'll take you an hour or so to make a bunch of mp3s, but then you'll be set.

You will probalby get a flase sense of how good you are because if you are off ar all you will be back on within a half beat or so and this will cause you to think you stayed on beat.

You will probalby get a flase sense of how good you are because if you are off ar all you will be back on within a half beat or so and this will cause you to think you stayed on beat.

That's unlikely to be a problem given that most clicks can be programmed to sound different pitches on different beats. You'd have to have very bad timing problems to be dropping entire beats.
I've never come across a stand alone metronome that can be programmed to include entire measures of silence. I'd agree with oops,; if you can, use a software program or drum machine, either to play along to, or to record mp3 click tracks.

A drum machine is the answer. I picked up an ancient Yamaha RX-15 on ebay and it's been a great tool. .

This is really old school and low tech, but try turning the click off and play to the pulse of the light instead. When you want to 'go silent' simply close your eyes. Choose the measure and beat you want to return to and then open your eyes ... did you return to the light? No? Were you ahead of it, or behind it?

There are lots of variations to this exercise ... each one an eye opener. (I know, bad pun.)

Bounce Metronome Pro can do this. It is a metronome for any Windows PC, laptop or netbook for XP, Vista or Windows 7

You'll need to use the script to set it to play silently for a few measures.

Here is an example script that goes silent on alternate measures:
Code:
measure = 1
Repeat starts = A
Volume = 88 out of 100

measure = 2
Volume = 0

measure = 3
Repeat from = A

Or to play for 2 measures then silent for another 2 measures:
Code:
measure = 1
Repeat starts = A
Volume = 88 out of 100

measure = 3
Volume = 0

measure = 5
Repeat from = A

You'll still see its bouncing balls / drumsticks / conducting visuals when the metronome is silent - but you can easily close your eyes at that point.

You can get it at:

http://www.bouncemetronome.com/metronome-download.htm

Then you need to choose Bounce Metronome Pro from the drop list of metronomes (the basic metronome doesn't have scripting capabilities).

Then go to the Tune Script window (Ctrl + 171), and paste the script into that window.

Then switch on Play Script and you are ready to go!

If you want it quieter or louder then vary the volume in this line:
Code:
Volume = 88 out of 100
e.g.
Code:
Volume = 40 out of 100
if you want it very quiet or
Code:
Volume = 100 out of 100
to make it as loud as possible.

You can also do things like play a different rhythm for each measure, vary tempo, vary instruments and so on.

So here is another way to do the same thing - this time it just mutes one of the parts:

Code:
measure = 1
Repeat starts = A
Voice for part 1 = Low Bongo

measure = 2
Voice for part 1 = Silence
measure = 3
Repeat from = A

That way you still get the measure beat, and again can go silent for several measures at a time or whatever.

Actually I thought I might make a special feature of this capability and have a window where you can set this up with the script automatically generated so you don't need to even look at it.

But as you see the script is easy to use and to understand.

Hope this helps. Be sure to ask if you have any questions about it or anything else. I continually improve the program in response to suggestions from its users.

I use a Roland RPM-5 (e practice pad with built-in metronome) and it has what you're asking for, it's called "quiet count". Depending on the mode you select ||: it ticks for a certain amount of measures, then goes quiet for another amount of measures :||

Unfortunately (and I wish I knew why) it doesn't go COMPLETELY silent, if I have the volume up too loud I can still kinda hear it when it goes "silent".

Also, since it is also a electronic practice pad (with a mesh head), it may be a lot more expensive then what you're looking for (unless you also want a epad), i think they run around $250 new. Maybe there's a standalone roland metronome that has all the same features?

I work with the Boss Dr.Beat Metrnome, DB30. It has a volume control on the side, but keeps on with a visual indicator.
Works great, small, cheap and rugged. Dropped it many times without issue.

Hope that helps.

I second the DB-30, but he forgot to add that the Tap Tempo button doubles as a Mute button. So it'll do exactly what you're wanting - press the button with the metronome on and the beeping will be muted while the metronome keeps going. And it's only 30 or 40 bucks.

I've just done a new update of Bounce Metronome Pro which now has a "Go silent briefly" check box - so you no longer need to use scripts for this feature.

go-silent-briefly.png

Here is where you configure it:

go-silent-briefly-config.png

You can set it to play and then go silent for any number of measures - and can enter several numbers one after another, so if you want to play for 1 measure, silent for 3, play for 2 then silent for 4 (then repeat that sequence) or whatever, then you can do that too.

Get it here Download Bounce Metronome Pro
- then change to the Pro metronome in the drop list of metronomes in the main window - or the Swing Metronome etc. All the metronomes have this feature apart from the Basic metronome.

There's a 30 day free test drive with all the features fully unlocked so you can try it out to see how it works - and if any of you have already taken it for a test drive, just contact me and I can supply another one.

Bounce Metronome Pro can do this. It is a metronome for any Windows PC, laptop or netbook for XP, Vista or Windows 7

You'll need to use the script to set it to play silently for a few measures..

To update - this is now a feature of the software. Screenshot here:

Window_245.png

Go Silent Briefly and Lilt Measures - help manual page

Basically you enter number of measures to go silent for and number to play, alternating, as many as you like e.g. 1 2 3 4 to play 1, silent for 2, play 3, silent for 4 measures and repeat.

Find out more here: Bounce Metronome Pro - Go Silent Briefly

Back