Joe Cocker: The Only Singer To Make A Beatles Song Sound Even Better

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
He was a big hit with my freinds and I back in 69; we were in that style of music and he made quite a splash with us.
If you can make through the opening of the show he is the first guest on a great show from the late 80's called Night Music; he also sings again in the middle and closes the show.
God bless you Joe.

(Omar Hakim on drums)

http://youtu.be/gOwkKjp9gxk

Last edited:
I consider very few remakes to be better than the original.

But what he did with 'A Little Help from my Friends' was sheer genius.

A great shame, what a voice. The difinitive version af Little Help by a mile, and it was a good song to begin with.

Delta Lady is my favorit from Joe's song list.

If you've got 4 minutes, this is worth a watch. Try to listen to the singing and read the captions. You can always go back and watch Joe's performance.

Just priceless.

While I love Joes cover of The Beatles tune,I can only disagree with the OP's position that it's "better".A great version to be sure,it still puts a smile on my face whenever I hear it,but...to me it isn't "better",just different.To each their own.

Steve B

Tamadrm, you say tomAto, he say's tomato. While I don't argue with what you are saying...If I were to pick a favorite cover of the Beatles, that I thought was already a classic, I too think it would be hard to top Joe's Little Help version. It's rare when anyone could cover any Beatles classic (as they all were classics) and do it better. But IMHO, and just mine, Joe did bring it.

I bought a best of Joe back in the early 90's at a truck stop and it remains a favorite to this day.

Beatles cover? She Came In Through the Bathroom Window - was great!

I bought a best of Joe back in the early 90's at a truck stop and it remains a favorite to this day. Beatles cover? She Came In Through the Bathroom Window - was great!

Crap I forgot about that one. Getting old is a pisser.

I like the Richie Havens version of Here Comes the Sun

If we're talking Beatle covers,then "Yesterday",and "Something" are THE most covered tunes ,of all time,but I'll still take the originals.

Steve B

Very happy to have played Feelin Alright Saturday December 20th at our gig, apparently just hours before he died.

Feelin alright cover was amazing! Certainly more soulful than the original IMHO.

Back