Drumming shoes

So, I have been searching for some time to find something suitable. Modern trainers are too thick and you get no feel from them, normal shoes are too slippy and have no grip.

So what do you do??

I first thought of rock climbing shoes, but they are too in-flexible, I looked at cycling shoes but much the same..

Then I watched Neil Peart...he wears dancing shoes.. so hot footed it...get it over to my local ballet shop and asked to see what they have.

Turns out they have 'street dancing' shoes that are canvas with very thin soles, just right

We shall see I will be trying them out shortly

What do you guys wear?

Oh such an important factor to drumming is the shoes you wear and not many people realise it! I agree modern trainers do not give any feel on a pedal at all. I's quite ironic when i last went hunting for a pair of shoes for drumming i bought 2 pair of thin sole light shoes thinking they would be great for drumming, oh dear how wrong i was cause they sucked. That same day i had bought a pair of quite large shoes, not a trainer but not a boot kind of inbetween, i tried them on and what a difference so i went and bought another pair. I used to think the smaller shoes the better but now i think the bigger the better for me! Somehow i can still get all of the feel of the pedal wearing them and i can get more power from each stroke as they are heavier than normal shoes. I've always wanted to try Gene Hoglans approach, New Rocks oh yeah!

I am extremely particular about my drumming shoes. After many years of searching for the perfect shoes, I finally gave up and had some custom shoes made. An artisan here in Abu Dhabi made these for me according to my exacting specifications. The result is a phenomenal shoe: aerodynamic, light weight, responsive and ergonomic. My drumming has improved immensely: Bonham triplets, syncopated 64th notes inspersed with 128th note sets of triplets. I couldn't be happier.

GJS

wink, wink!

Attachments

• Drumming Shoes 20% 1.jpg
    Drumming Shoes 20% 1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2,949
  • Drumming Shoes 20% 2.jpg
    Drumming Shoes 20% 2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 3,005
  • Drumming Shoes 20% 3.jpg
    Drumming Shoes 20% 3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2,873
I always need some sort of tennis shoes on to play drums, I can't play barefoot at all, I can never get a good enough grip on the pedals, but I guess some people can pull it off.

I usually don't. play with shoes on but when I do I use wrestling shoes because they are the lightest shoe with the thinnest sole it's almost like not having shoes on at all.

Keep Swattin' my friends,
Bonzolead

digimarc.ms

Minnetonka Mens Leather Laced Softsole Moccasins. Best feel I've got without playing barefoot.

anything with a relatively thin flat sole. no crazy grips. I liked to play barefoot when i started but now my feet are too big to do it comfortably. i end up cutting toes when I slide too far up for doubles.

I am extremely particular about my drumming shoes. After many years of searching for the perfect shoes, I finally gave up and had some custom shoes made. An artisan here in Abu Dhabi made these for me according to my exacting specifications. The result is a phenomenal shoe: aerodynamic, light weight, responsive and ergonomic.

GJS

wink, wink!

Those shoes are epic.

I have size 14/15 feet...

toddytrainers.jpg

When I can, I play barefoot, but when the situation calls for shoes, I wear these: Yah Hendrix!

Attachments

• Converse-Chuck-Taylor-Jimi-Hendrix-Collectionq.jpg
    Converse-Chuck-Taylor-Jimi-Hendrix-Collectionq.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,875
i original wore raben shoes - cheap canvas shoes. however they only lasted me a few months as i wore them to school and stuff as well

CBS_PROD_J00510171_C_001_Page_001_i201165570105901.jpg

then earlier this year i decided to buy skate shoes - before i was wearing rabens and before i was drumming i always wore them and i was reminded how comfy they were. i found the most comfy skate shoe i could find, and for me that was an emrika mid top shoe that looked like this:

emerica-hsu-purple-white-1-600x514.jpg

mine are a different colour however.

soon im going to buy classic puma/Adidas shoes just because i've heard so much about them.

i've also heard that wrestling shoes are GREAT for drumming however i like to stick to the rule whatever is comfy.

I attended a Todd Sucherman clinic and he was wearing Suede ankle boots by John Varvatos. Look really comfy but very pricey. I just play in my New Balance walking sneakers.

Anyone ever tried Michelin shoes? Yes, they make shoes. too. I bought them originally for driving shoes (1982 Nissan 280zx) but they work well as drumming shoes. Relively light and sturdy. If I can find the web site again I'll post it.

Fencing shoes are good. Pointed toes, relatively thinner soles, kind of like a light version of your average running shoe.

Recently I've been playing with my vans though, and they work fine. I tend not to like playing barefoot though. Don't know why.

i believe its more of a: its not the bow that makes the indian, but the indian that makes the bow; thing.
but anyways, i feel a difference with vans, but with practice anything may be achieved!

I happen to know that these are Polly's fav drumming shoes.

I think that Larry may also have a pair. ;)

Attachments

• ruby_slippers.jpg
    ruby_slippers.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2,991
Back