Yur New kit :) Tomcat snare?

Calummordue

Hey Guys

So i bought a new kit :) Sorry freebirdgdw for not getting a highwood, but i didnt want to wait 3+ months and then have less drums to play with. I love these drums they are amazing! I put a ps3 on the kick and it sounds awesome. Im loving the shalllow toms as well. the guy at my local drum shop gave me the tomcat snare to borrow until my highwood arrives (should be next week!). Anyone know anything about tomcat? it says its hand made in the uk.

I'm switching between the 10" and 12" Rack Tom up front. I like having a high rack tom but also the tone of the 12".

specs;

Tama Superstar Hyperdrive 5 piece (no snare)

10 x 6.5 Rack Tom
12 x 7 Rack Tom
14 x 12 Floor Tom
16 x 14 Floor Tom
22 X 18 Kick

All Sabian Cymbals (oh and stagg china)

14" AAX hats
16" AAX crash
20' AAX ride
18"HHX crash
16" SH china

PICS :)

IMGP2755.jpg

IMGP2756.jpg

IMGP2763.jpg

IMGP2762.jpg

IMGP2770.jpg

IMGP2773.jpg

IMGP2774.jpg

IMGP2757.jpg

IMGP2764.jpg

IMGP2767.jpg

The Tomcat snare
IMGP2761.jpg

Last edited:
I would've waited for the Highwood, but that's a really good, solid kit. Tama make very high quality drums indeed. Congratulations!

Very nice! I like the Benny Greb setup you have going (10" rack, 14" & 16" floors, 22" bass drum). And with the 12" rack, you can set the kit up almost anyway you want. 10 12 14 16 is a great setup for toms, even if you don't use them all at once.

Very nice! I like the Benny Greb setup you have going (10" rack, 14" & 16" floors, 22" bass drum). And with the 12" rack, you can set the kit up almost anyway you want. 10 12 14 16 is a great setup for toms, even if you don't use them all at once.

After i took these pics i decided to put the 12" over the kick as well and move the ride round. I have played just one rack and one floor for 2 years so getting these two extra is a bit of a shock.

I would have also waited for the highwood because you're only probably going to end up getting one. Having said that, i don't think their prices include VAT so you might have ended up paying a lot more then you might have first thought. Anyway looks good, i would also go with a 2 up setup, if it feels uncomfortable then move things over to the left so you can keep the ride where it is.

I would have also waited for the highwood because you're only probably going to end up getting one. Having said that, i don't think their prices include VAT so you might have ended up paying a lot more then you might have first thought. Anyway looks good, i would also go with a 2 up setup, if it feels uncomfortable then move things over to the left so you can keep the ride where it is.

I will try that :D

Im not bothered about the highwood.

Looks good from here. You could always fly the 12 inch from the high hat stand and put it to use on the left side. I hate seeing new drums go to waste.

Hey man, shame about the highwood but its all good still. I love these kits. I personally would use the 12" instead of the 10" buts that just me. Enjy playing it!! :D

any one have any details about the tomcat snare?

It's just hit me! Look at the Tomcat snare logo. Remind you of any other brand logo? A UK brand logo? BigDog for example? I knew I'd seen it before somewhere! I don't know anything about it but I know it's the same people behind BigDog. Hope this helps.

Don't forget to change those stock heads! Tama is great, but as with most kits, their stock heads suck! :p

And awesome kit. There was a deal a few months ago from Musician's Friend for that setup for $400 (or $500, I forget which exactly). It was a steal at any rate.

When they first started they were making snares under the name Tomcat but now they are under the Big Dog name.

I don't think theres much of a story about it.

when i first saw it i thought big dog since i use a fair bit of there gear throne pedals stands so i know the logo. was wierd loks cool though

I love the look of tama kits, but i hate the look of their rims system, the squared bends just rub me the wrong way

actually, y'know what? It does look very similar, maybe they're the same company and it's just the divison that makes drums?

actually if you look on there site

bigdogdrumstuff.com

they makes snares as well so i doubt it

Back