My CUSTOM Internal Bassdrum Mic Holder System [Promo Video]

Looks great - both the concept and the clean appearance of that system.
I like that this modification is 'non-invasive' so there's no need to drill extra holes.
And I have Sonor, too - so if it works in your drum it should work for me, too, haha.

I want one as soon as the 'serial' production is available.

Great system? Did I hear correctly? Is one of the part names is a butt strap?

Larry, when I perceived that term in the video my first thought was: Larry... haha.

:)

BTW:
If anyone of you coming to london is interested in this system, I could easily take some with me!
That's a good idea David. Regrettably (mostly due to lack of drilling on our bass drums) I can't offer to install one on our show kits, but there could well be people there interested. Touting gear around the exhibition isn't allowed by the organisers, but we can help keep that under the radar a bit if you like. Beware though, there are traders there who would be delighted to take your idea & make it for half the cost in China, so it's a double edged sword.

If you want to line interested parties up, & use our stand as a hookup point, feel free. Equally, if you're interested in establishing any trading partners, I can help you there too. I might even be able to get you a magazine review. Just let me know how I can help :)

That's a good idea David. Regrettably (mostly due to lack of drilling on our bass drums) I can't offer to install one on our show kits, but there could well be people there interested. Touting gear around the exhibition isn't allowed by the organisers, but we can help keep that under the radar a bit if you like. Beware though, there are traders there who would be delighted to take your idea & make it for half the cost in China, so it's a double edged sword.

If you want to line interested parties up, & use our stand as a hookup point, feel free. Equally, if you're interested in establishing any trading partners, I can help you there too. I might even be able to get you a magazine review. Just let me know how I can help :)

Andy, thanks for your reply.
In the moment I'm a bit worried about the existence of my product as the inventor of the Kelly Shu System has a patent registered.
I'm not sure if I'm violating his patent..

Today I'm going to write an email to the patent office in Munich, Germany and ask if there's any "cheap" method to have this checked.

Your offer is really great! I know that there might be some traders who might steel my idea.. But I'd love to use your stand as hookup point, actually.
Trading partners would be awesome. They could help out with the money ;)
A magazine review would be more than a dream.. I will get back to it :)

Last edited:
Andy, thanks for your reply.
In the moment I'm a bit worried about the existence of my product as the inventor of the Kelly Shu System has a patent registered.
I'm not sure if I'm hurting his patent..

Today I'm going to write an email to the patent office in Munich, Germany and ask if there's any "cheap" method to have this checked.

Your offer is really great! I know that there might be some traders who might steel my idea.. But I'd love to use your stand as hookup point, actually.
Trading partners would be awesome. They could help out with the money ;)
A magazine review would be more than a dream.. I will get back to it :)
david, I know enough people to help you on your way, but checking for patent infringement is absolutely critical first step stuff. Making something for your own use is one thing, marketing a product is a whole 'nuther bucket of shit you don't want to get wrong.

Checking out the patent description should be free, as it's a public access document. Get on it, & I mean NOW!!

Already found it, but I'm not sure whether it's only effective in the USA or worldwide..
Are you familiar with that kind of stuff? So maybe you could help me out?
I assume this is what you've found?

http://www.google.com/patents/US772...ZvkIOrO0QX20YGwDg&sqi=2&pjf=1&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA

Just because it's a US patent, doesn't mean it's not applicable elsewhere. There's no such thing as an international patent. You register your patent in one country (or sometimes, a cooperation block of countries such as the EU), then you are free to register that patent in other territories, usually according to your most important sales markets. Of course, that all costs money, so most manufacturers (especially small ones) will balance potential sales loss against cost. You can check if a product is registered in Europe by using a local German patent office search facility.

Having read the Kelly Shu patent claims, I'd say your product absolutely crosses most of their key features, so establishing what free market areas exist is paramount. Although your feature of being able to mount two mic's is unique to your design, it borrows the fundamentals of the Kelly Shu patent.

My question is, why wold you want to suspension mount two microphones in the bass drum at approximately the same plane? If you would rotate one microphone 180 degrees, then you would have phasing problems. If one of the microphones was a condenser and the other a dynamic element, then the sum of the two would naturally be 90 degress out of phase. Am I missing something here?

Dennis

My question is, why wold you want to suspension mount two microphones in the bass drum at approximately the same plane? If you would rotate one microphone 180 degrees, then you would have phasing problems. If one of the microphones was a condenser and the other a dynamic element, then the sum of the two would naturally be 90 degress out of phase. Am I missing something here?

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

thank you for that question.

Ok. Where did you hear that I want to rotate one mic 180° degrees? If you'd do that, you of course would have phase issues. You would need to flip the phase of course.
And there's no relation between phase issues and different mic types actually?

Hi Dennis,

thank you for that question.

Ok. Where did you hear that I want to rotate one mic 180° degrees? If you'd do that, you of course would have phase issues. You would need to flip the phase of course.
And there's no relation between phase issues and different mic types actually?

Then why would you have two microphones pointed in the exact same position using a double microphone clip? If it's just for redundancy purposes, then maybe you have a shallow point of reasoning.

And actually you're very wrong about the phase relationship between a condenser and a dynamic microphone, they're approximately 90 degrees out of phase. How many times have you selected three, four or five different microphones consisting of both dynamic and condenser units positioned in front of a vocalist to ensure selecting the best unit for their voice, maybe never? If you have, next time try summing a dynamic and a condenser microphone, then try to tell me there is no phase variations between the two. If you have the ability to hear correctly or see a signal on a digital cluster or analog meter correctly this should be very evident to you. Here's a more simplistic task, just set up a condenser microphone and a dynamic microphone in front of yourself. Get a correct level on each microphone by itself and then sum the two. The level will drop off and you'll loose much of the high frequency content compared to hearing each one seperately. If at this point you can't hear the problems with the phase, it's time for you to hang up your brackets and never again touch another microphone.

Dennis

Already found it, but I'm not sure whether it's only effective in the USA or worldwide..
Are you familiar with that kind of stuff? So maybe you could help me out?

That would probably be best answered by a patent attorney. It's a lot cheaper to have an attorney give you the legal advice on it then a possible lawsuit by Kellyshu for violating any part of their patent. .(not saying they would sue you but if you violate their patent they have every right to.)

Then why would you have two microphones pointed in the exact same position using a double microphone clip? If it's just for redundancy purposes, then maybe you have a shallow point of reasoning.

And actually you're very wrong about the phase relationship between a condenser and a dynamic microphone, they're approximately 90 degrees out of phase. How many times have you selected three, four or five different microphones consisting of both dynamic and condenser units positioned in front of a vocalist to ensure selecting the best unit for their voice, maybe never? If you have, next time try summing a dynamic and a condenser microphone, then try to tell me there is no phase variations between the two. If you have the ability to hear correctly or see a signal on a digital cluster or analog meter correctly this should be very evident to you. Here's a more simplistic task, just set up a condenser microphone and a dynamic microphone in front of yourself. Get a correct level on each microphone by itself and then sum the two. The level will drop off and you'll loose much of the high frequency content compared to hearing each one seperately. If at this point you can't hear the problems with the phase, it's time for you to hang up your brackets and never again touch another microphone.

Dennis

I don't get your point, tho.

konaboy said:
That would probably be best answered by a patent attorney. It's a lot cheaper to have an attorney give you the legal advice on it then a possible lawsuit by Kellyshu for violating any part of their patent. .(not saying they would sue you but if you violate their patent they have every right to.)

Yes, I'm going to make an appointment at the information centre of the patent office within for the next week and see what I can do. Maybe they have something even cheaper solution for me...

I hope this project won't need to be cancelled :p

Last edited:
It's a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist if the one (1) proper microphone is chosen to use inside of the bass drum. Burying a D6 deep inside of a bass drum will overly enhance the bottom frequencies of the drum due to proximity effect and abundance of low frequency energy designed in that and many other bass drum type microphones. This in turn overpowers the sound of the attack. If you chose the proper microphone and position it correctly, there is no need for for two microphones buried within the drum.

Here is my point, if someone decides to use both a condenser microphone and a dynamic microphone on your bracket and the signals are summed, which they would normally be, they will have phasing problems, it's as simple as that.

BTW, how do you discreetly route the two (2) microphone cables from the bass drum. Probably through the port hole which is a bad idea for both consistant microphone placement from the pulling on the cables and resonant head life, tearing of the head. A better method of using two microphones within the drum would be to eliminate the resonant head, but then we would use stands and wouldn't have the need for a double bracket, would we?

I do have other "points" if you have to be further convinced.

Dennis

Back