Setting up a single Pearl tom

Anon La Ply

Diamond Member
Hoping one of you gear gurus will have some ideas here.

I currently have a Rhythm Traveler and I'm upgrading to a Guru kit in a month or so - basically going from the redikulouss to the sublime.

Trouble is, I love the 8" tom on the RT and don't want to lose that voice in the kit. I was thinking it would be nice to set up near the hats but I don't know how I'll do it. .

My local drum shops have all closed down so I'll buy online. Any suggestions how to do this? It currently sits on a rod with one of those adjustable ball thingies (please pardon my heavy tech jargon).

All ideas appreciated. Simplicity and light weight are desirable for me.

Attachments

• 8-inch-tom2.jpg
    8-inch-tom2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 385
  • 8-inch-tom1.jpg
    8-inch-tom1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 436
One of these DW L--arm clamps, mounted to either the hihat stand or the crash stand, and you're set.
DWSM991-large.jpg

Hoping one of you gear gurus will have some ideas here.

I currently have a Rhythm Traveler and I'm upgrading to a Guru kit in a month or so - basically going from the redikulouss to the sublime.

All ideas appreciated. Simplicity and light weight are desirable for me.
That's one hell of an upgrade all right (many pics coming our way when it arrives I hope).
Swexx's suggestion is ideal but thought I would ask if you will be using a rack with the Guru kit, then I can suggest a few more options.

Swexx has it. A lot of companies make similar products aswell. Here's a pic of a Gibraltar clamp that's similar to the DW one. This one cost only $25 Canadian. As u can see, I use this one to mount my cowbell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 383
Terrence's clamp is good because it has a long reach. I mount a 10" Tom under an 18 crash (on a straight stand) and sometimes it's tricky setting it up comfortably.

Just drill a hole through your new Guru bass drum and stick in the Pearl bass drum tom mount....lol just kidding.

No really the L clamp off hihat can work but don't forget it has to stick far enough out for the 8 tom to be playable in the middle. Not sure many L clamps stick that far.
The L clamp off of a free cymbal stand would be much better.

What a nice upgrade. Enjoy.

Grea, I'll hold your tom for you honey :) Anywhere you want lol.

Question is, will you even want that sound when you actually play your new Gurus? I'm jealous. Think about it. BTW - if you order that part from anywhere but Australia I'm sure it'll be $200 by the time you get it ;)

Thats great news Gretchen. I can't wait to see your Guru kit!!!
I see that your question has been answered.
Perhaps Andy could have his team make a special Guru bracket to incorporate your trademark RT tom into your new kit in a more clever manner???
Andy... any ideas?

Hmmm, I haven't ordered my Guru kit yet... Let's see,,, what would be a good choice for crazy bobdadruma to custom order???
I have no clue!!!
I will continue to think on this.
Look Out everyone :)

Thats great news Gretchen. I can't wait to see your Guru kit!!!
I see that your question has been answered.
Perhaps Andy could have his team make a special Guru bracket to incorporate your trademark RT tom into your new kit in a more clever manner???
Andy... any ideas?

That would be a great idea! Andy - you gotta set something up for Grea. It would be totally custom and unique!

Thanks for all this help, guys, and thanks Swexx and Terence for the pix. Terence, your gear looks like it's seen a fair few seedy bars :)

Good point about needing to take the extension into account. There's no rack - it's the Origin series (Bob, if you're going Guru and still playing jazz, it could be good for you too).

And yes, it's a huge upgrade. In the late 70s I went from a beaten up Pearl / Aria Frankenstein to a top-of-the-line Rogers kit. Bo, I always like having a high tom in the kit. It's Bill Bruford's fault. In the old days I had a roto toms with the old Rogers too.

I guess I could have asked Andy in the first instance about getting an 8" drum included but it didn't occur to me (sharp work, not). So Andy, if you're reading, I wonder if an integrated Guru L-plate is easy to do?

Larry, if you hold the drum for me bring along a mate to fan me with a banana tree leaf, maybe another to fee me grapes (peeled).

I'm really happy you're going for this major upgrade. You deserve it coming from what you have done and from what you've been playing! Now I have to make that trip out to Sydney to try your drums since I'll probably never see them here in California!

you could also use a boom stand and clamp it off of that, or you can get the arm seperate from the clamps. which gives you more reach. but most people are giving you the same advice now.

I'm really happy you're going for this major upgrade. You deserve it coming from what you have done and from what you've been playing! Now I have to make that trip out to Sydney to try your drums since I'll probably never see them here in California!

Thanks Bo. If the accursed renovations are ever complete, that would be good.

I like low end gear - it's a fun challenge and the stakes aren't high, which gives me extra license to experiment (in the same way as you are less likely to mess around with a new BMW than an old Holden). However, high end gear is forgiving and these days I seek forgiveness for my drumming sins ;-)

Thanks Bo. If the accursed renovations are ever complete, that would be good.

I like low end gear - it's a fun challenge and the stakes aren't high, which gives me extra license to experiment (in the same way as you are less likely to mess around with a new BMW than an old Holden). However, high end gear is forgiving and these days I seek forgiveness for my drumming sins ;-)

You know, I told Jimmy Ford (owner of Ford Drums) the same thing after he told me I play "cheap stuff". But you, sister, should never have to seek forgiveness ;)

You know, I told Jimmy Ford (owner of Ford Drums) the same thing after he told me I play "cheap stuff". But you, sister, should never have to seek forgiveness ;)

Only my former drumming teachers know the extent of my drumming sins ;-)

Definitely keeping the RT. Once the novelty of the new drums wears off I was thinking of having the RTs as a home kit and take the Gurus out.

I guess I could have asked Andy in the first instance about getting an 8" drum included but it didn't occur to me (sharp work, not). So Andy, if you're reading, I wonder if an integrated Guru L-plate is easy to do?
Grea, we're supplying you with a Yamaha stand, with this holder assembly mounted directly to it. We're supplying you with one Yamaha ball type tom arm to hold your 12" tom, & a cymbal boom arm. That leaves one more mounting hole on that 3 way Yamaha adaptor bracket. It's just possible we can find an L arm holder with the same tube diameter as the Yamaha unit. If so, that would provide a very neat solution. Alternatively, the DW clamp bracket already shown (or similar) could be used straight from the upright of the Yamaha stand. That would give you more positioning options, & also release that third Yamaha bracket position for an additional cymbal boom arm if you wish.

Andy.

Attachments

• YAMAHA TOM HOLDER.jpg
    YAMAHA TOM HOLDER.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 211
Andy, you rock! I didn't want to throw a spanner in the works with scope creep so this is very decent of you. I think I could have pulled it together once I stopped calling the L arm clamp an "L plate", which was almost too Freudian to be true haha

Pol, are you sure thats an upgrade from a Rythm Traveler. What are these Guru drums you spreak of?? haha cant wait to see the pics, does Andy have any Pics of your kit being built??

Back