Should they rename the Grammys the Pro Tools awards?

pgm554

Platinum Member
Can't sing on key?
Can't keep a beat?
Can't play an instrument?

Pro Tools.

The Grammy's should be part of the Electronic Manufaturers Convention.

The Grammy's should be part of the Electronic Manufaturers Convention.

Music award shows seem hell bent on ignoring folks that can play an instrument well or sing adequately.

Still stuck in a Milli Vanilli state of mind.

Oh please. Like most of the drummers here aren't guilty of recording to a click and re-doing every section till perfect and then still applying heavy post.

As much as some of us wish music was still more "real" that's not what gets pushed by the industry. Luckily, it's pretty much a dying industry, partially for these reasons.

Oh please. Like most of the drummers here aren't guilty of recording to a click and re-doing every section till perfect and then still applying heavy post.

Im not sure most of us here can afford that. My band just spent 3 days in the studio and the process of recording and mixing took up our entire budget, which was not a small amount. There was no money left for perfection or "heavy post" once the basic tracks were laid down. Drum editing is time consuming and therefore expensive, so I decided to just play to the best of my ability and spend the money in the mix.

But in defense of those who do get perfect tracks, I have a recording I made in the 90's that has some mistakes, and it drives me crazy every time I listen to it. So if given the opportunity I would have made the whole thing perfect to avoid the glaring mistakes.

Im not sure most of us here can afford that. My band just spent 3 days in the studio and the process of recording and mixing took up our entire budget, which was not a small amount. There was no money left for perfection or "heavy post" once the basic tracks were laid down. Drum editing is time consuming and therefore expensive, so I decided to just play to the best of my ability and spend the money in the mix.

But in defense of those who do get perfect tracks, I have a recording I made in the 90's that has some mistakes, and it drives me crazy every time I listen to it. So if given the opportunity I would have made the whole thing perfect to avoid the glaring mistakes.

I'm not just talking about in studio. For probably less than you spent on that, you could have grabbed a interface, decent computer and a DAW, then done it yourself. The results aren't typically as good as a pro studio in raw form, but if you're going to spend time re-doing every section to a click and putting it together, followed by digital processing then it really doesn't matter as much. I've heard some stuff lately I would have guessed was pro studio but I was wrong!

I'm not just talking about in studio. For probably less than you spent on that, you could have grabbed a interface, decent computer and a DAW, then done it yourself. The results aren't typically as good as a pro studio in raw form, but if you're going to spend time re-doing every section to a click and putting it together, followed by digital processing then it really doesn't matter as much. I've heard some stuff lately I would have guessed was pro studio but I was wrong!

I have a very nice interface, DAW, computer, and set of microphones. What
I dont have is somebody with the expertise to get the best out of that gear. The type of sound we are going for is very raw and not overly processed. I can record a metal band using triggers and Axe-fx and get a great sound, but a real open drum sound and thick guitar tone takes some better mics, pre-amps, outboard gear and a good room.

^ This.

I don't get why anyone even bothers to pay attention to them.

One of my favorite RedLetterMedia quotes was when they pointed out that The Oscars are just an industry award show, like the Pipefitters Convention Awards.

There is no objective merit to any of this; it's people rewarding themselves for selling units. And that's fine, it's great to be successful. I just don't understand why people get wrapped up in the Emmys, Oscars, Grammys, Tonys, etc. It doesn't _mean_ anything.

If that was the case, then we should have called all popular music after Les Paul as the "Ampex Multi-Track Awards."

If that was the case, then we should have called all popular music after Les Paul as the "Ampex Multi-Track Awards."

Les Paul's technical innovation is far removed from "performers" who literally have to lip sync on stage because the can't sing or play live.

As I pointed out, Milli Vanilli and other folks like Madonna ,Ashlee Simpson,etc...have to resort to electronic means in order to perform live.

A DJ made a comment back in the 80's that most of the new music no longer requires a high level of virtuosity ,only a pleasing visual presence on the album cover and in the videos.

A working pro I know, who is also an engineer in big studios informed me that he's been fixing voices for years using a software package called Melodyne, some may be able to do real-time edits - that's scary.

In my opinion, the original poster is right.

While she's right, talk about biting the hand.

I'm not a Fiona Apple fan - I mean she seems like a capable singer and all, no hate - and I've always thought that a weird speech. She refers to Maya Angelou, but Maya Angelou was an artist businesswoman. All her works were produced within the "studio system" of publishing. And, of course, Maya Angelou was quite happy to become a voice, a model of cool. Even name-checking Maya Angelou is a cry of "I'm cool".

It's just weird watching those posey rebellion acts. Like Billy Joe with his eyeshadow on the Toyota Prius Stage. Plus, Fiona is batsh*t insane.

Back