Which pro set gives most bang for the buck?

The PDP X7 is actually an epic kit. I don't consider it a mid-level kit by any meaning of the word. Its like $900 for a shell pack. A friend of mine has one, and I've played on it a hand full of times, and it sounds amazing.

I would love to have the cash to buy a nice DW kit, but as far as something close to my budget, the PDP X7 is the kit of my dreams right now.

The PDP X7 is actually an epic kit. I don't consider it a mid-level kit by any meaning of the word. Its like $900 for a shell pack. A friend of mine has one, and I've played on it a hand full of times, and it sounds amazing.

I would love to have the cash to buy a nice DW kit, but as far as something close to my budget, the PDP X7 is the kit of my dreams right now.

Word hommie!

I bought mine brand new from Guitar Center for $699+ tax. Total was $749! I took advantage of the $100 off promo at Guitar Center, they had the X7's on sale for $799 instead of $899 and at the end of the day had a pearl white X7 delivered about 4 days later!

I'm friggin stoked over these drums man!

EDIT: Although I don't think the veteran drummers around here consider it a pro kit or worthy of discussion. *Shrugs*

The one you enjoy the sound and feel of the most.

I know, not a real answer, but it's how I feel.

I got a real good deal on some new Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveaus 3 years ago. Am real happy w/'em. Like any pro kit, they sound even better when you get some better heads on 'em, including the kick, on which I currently use an Evans Emad vs. an Aquarian SKII, which I had for a while following the Remo factory head. Total kit price was around $1K (US) less than say a DW Collectors kit of same, and so what if they're handmade in Osaka, Japan vs.Oxnard, CA? It's virturally the same kit. Bought a good, though, not too pricey Pearl Masters Maple snare as well, shortly thereafter. Am a happy camper.

Last edited:
gotta admit, it's REALLY kinda hard to beat a Yamaha GigMaker kit at $399.99....well, maybe $599.99 now!!!

I buy low to mid range stuff. If I were looking for pro level, bang for the buck, I'd probably go with Gretsch.

I consider long range re-sale value into the bang factor, and most kits don't do well there.

I really like the Yamaha Absolute series, but I don't consider them bang for the buck, unless you find a great deal on something used.

I buy low to mid range stuff. If I were looking for pro level, bang for the buck, I'd probably go with Gretsch.

I consider long range re-sale value into the bang factor, and most kits don't do well there.

I really like the Yamaha Absolute series, but I don't consider them bang for the buck, unless you find a great deal on something used.

Found a four piece (24, 12, 14, 16) Yamaha Absolute Nouveau for 10000SEK, which is 1400 USD.

http://www.blocket.se/helsingborg/SE_HIT_Yamaha_Maple_Custom_Absolute___div_40728993.htm?ca=18&w=3

Regular maple, lol. But none of you did suggest any exotic kits... ;(

In my modest opinion, exotic woods, although nice to the eye, doesn't do a thing concerning best bang for the buck. One of my "best bang for the buck" kits is my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute. This is because I've probably made more money with that set of drums than any two or three other kits combined. My Yamaha drums are very expressive, sound beautiful and they fit into just about any musical genre. I've been gigging my Ludwig Classic Maple drums quite a bit, but in my opinion fall a bit short in their sonic qualities compared to the Yamaha drums. I love my DW Classic kit for our big band and several other genres where the type of shells and head combinations fit in extremely well with earlier styles of music.

Having said all this, any kit will work well depending on the head selection and particularly their tuning. I'm just fortunate enough to be able to pick and choose on which set of drums work the best with the type of music I'll be playing with any one gig.

Dennis

In my modest opinion, exotic woods, although nice to the eye, doesn't do a thing concerning best bang for the buck.

Dennis
I agree with this, to some extent. Of course, it depends on your interpretation of exotic, but in sheer sonic return for the outlay, generally yes.

Most exotic wood kits I get to try have used the wood as a decorative outer veneer. That's great, but does little for the sound. Even kits that use the exotic wood through the construction, usually do so with little augmentation to really make the best of the wood species character. When a drum is designed with every element working towards the character of the wood species, then a choice of exotic wood can pay off.

I agree with this, to some extent. Of course, it depends on your interpretation of exotic, but in sheer sonic return for the outlay, generally yes.

Most exotic wood kits I get to try have used the wood as a decorative outer veneer. That's great, but does little for the sound. Even kits that use the exotic wood through the construction, usually do so with little augmentation to really make the best of the wood species character. When a drum is designed with every element working towards the character of the wood species, then a choice of exotic wood can pay off.

Yep, you are correct. I totally looked at the question one dimensionally as an outer cosmetic covering to a more customary type of wood. I should have known better because of my Tama Starclassic Full Bubinga kit I've owned for more than four years, lol.

Dennis

I think used pro Pearl kits are the best bang for the buck. Check ebay and Guitar Center used. You can routinely find Session and Masters full birch/maple kits in the $700 range. That's what I paid for my Session Custom Maples (10/12/14/16/22 including Protection Racket Cases)

10152011268.jpg

10152011270.jpg

Great looking kit, ive played both the master and the session customs and i love the session custom, do you know where to find one like this? the color is beautiful

I think Mapex Saturns are pretty good value for money and sound amazing but, I haven't really tested many new kits out lately, I think you probably couldn't go wrong with any of the big names, they are usually similarly priced, except DW.
But again, been a while since I bought a new kit so I'm kind of out the loop.

I just though I'd chip in with an unhelpful post seens as I can't sleep!

The used one that you like the best and got a great deal on.

This.
If you want something specific tough, I'd have to say Tama Starclassic birch. I've seen two of them now in my area for around $600. Both made in Japan, one had power toms. If I needed a high end kit cheap, that seemed to be the way to go. But whatever you can get the best deal on really.

Back