Share your favorite more obscure movie

Yes, I would have to give "blue velvet" another look myself. I remember the first time I watched it twenty years ago and kind of having a "wtf"? feeling, but perhaps I have grown a bit more perceptive in the last twenty years.

Just watched it last night "Moon", starts off fairly slow, and then kind of gets into a "what the hell is going on here" ala "2001 A Space Odyssey" but then in a very subtle way becomes quite profound.

Not sure if it fits the "obscure" category, but nobody mentioned Mr. Bermuda's favorite movie: UHF (1989).

My favorite movie of all time hasn't been dethroned (yet), The Princess Bride (1987).

Pssh. Most of these aren't that obscure guys. Try a little 3 hour Finnish World War II film that 'll blow your pants off called Talvisota (the Winter War). That French movie that totally inspired Drive, called Le Samurai. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is a forgotten western masterpiece. Ozu's Tokyo Story is about nothing happening but it's so real. Grave of the Fireflies is a Studio Ghibli production that will make grown men cry. Watch something by Andrei Tarkovsky. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (that's the title) is this short lived British comedy that spoofs cheap/terrible sci fi shows and is just dead pan and ridiculous, and all of it is available on Youtube. Also Peep Show, another fantastic British comedy, but more well known and on going. Eyes Without a Face, old french horror and awesome. Testament of Dr. Mabuse, old German horror by Fritz Lang, also awesome. Onibaba, old Japanese horror and signifigantly better than Jigoku. Delicattessen is one of my favorite comedies, by the guy who made Amelie and City of Lost Children. Some Kind of Monster, Until the Light Takes Us and Heavy Metal In Baghdad are great musical documentaries. The Sound of Noise is a comedy made for drummers. Redline, the anime film, is one of the best animated films of all time - it's completely hand drawn and looks out of this world. Samurai Fiction is another great Japanese comedy/chanbara film. Lastly, Start the Revolution Without Me is an underraded comedy with Gene Wilder and Donald Sutherland in duel roles. Did I already say Come and See? Everybody must watch Come and See.

Ivan's Childhood (Andrei Tarkovsky)

If we're talking "sort of obscure," I'd list a few others:

Smoke (Wayne Wang and Paul Auster)
Blue Velvet (David Lynch)
8 1/2 (Federico Fellini)
The Remains Of The Day (James Ivory)

Good ones, some of mine are Zardos, Brazil, Donnie Darko, Dark City, Old Boy, Victim, Clockwork Orange, Eyes wide shut, pretty much most Kubrick flix, Kalifornia, 12 monkeys, Snatch, Sin city and lets not forget Lost Highway and THE WALL.

I would list some others but would probably get banned, they're actually more disturbing or shocking than obscure anyway.

Last edited:
Tuna is right. Most of these movies aren't very obscure. I remember a weird European film called The Fourth Man but can only remember the main theme and a freakout scene.

Well, I did say "more" obscure, which could imply that its just not real mainstream.

I loved dark city, cool sets, watch it and see if it reminds you of another movie that came out a bit later, known as the matrix.

I watched a Tarkovsky film called Stalker. Pretty damn good.

OOh, this is a good one and you have to watch it. Ahead of its time:

Soylent Green. One of my favourite movies.

There's also this killer sci-fi called Solaris. Don't watch the George Clooney remake. The original.

Not obscure? man it does not get much worse than Brazil Rebert De Niro as a renagade air conditioner repairman. Or Zardos with Sean Connery as a hooker boot speedo wearing murderer. 12 Monkeys not obscure? Did anyone read my post?

Also Apocalypse Now, Island of Dr Moreau, Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, The Truman show, Pulp Fiction, Death proof and the Crow if you want more mainstream.

Also Videodrome and Ravenous

Last edited:
I watched a Tarkovsky film called Stalker. Pretty damn good.

Definitely. I think Andrei Rublev is his masterpiece, although some find it difficult. It's very long and it defies the linear "story-telling" model of film in pretty much every way. But it's just so f***ing beautiful.

Time Bandits hasn't been mentioned yet - probably less obscure than some movies that have already been brought up in this thread but strange enough for this thread.

On the more trashier side:
- Equinox (aka The Beast) (1970)
- The Pit (1981)

Oh, I forgot some. Though neither are too obscure, check out Y Tu Mama Tambian and La Haine. The former is a heavy hearted look at coming of age and sexual discovery (by that guy that did Gravity and Children of Men, you may have heard of him) and the latter is a gritty, incredible look at poverty and oppression of minorities that sits on the same throne as City of God.

Truckfighters Fuzzomentary is all about Truckfighters, the greatest band in the universe. Re-Animator is an over the top, low budget, cult action/comedy/horror movie. Ed Wood is the best most forgotten Tim Burton movie. I'll restate the 6 Lone Wolf and Cub movie, 1970's exploitative chanbara flicks that are violent and cool precursors to Kill Bill, as is Lady Snowblood, but I found that less badgrass.

The Raid: Redemption is not an obscure action film but it is full of balls to the wall kung fu, but not for the faint of heart. Tai Chi Master is great wire-fu from Jet Li and I love that you can see all the wires. Wing Chun on the otherhand, is Michelle Yeoh kicking butt showing off her skills, all the while crazy multi-layered romance subplots are going on, but they are mostly played for laughs, but it's directed by action legend Yuen-Woo Ping and I love it.

And guys, the Korean Oldboy (don't watch the unnecessary American remake unless you're a philistine (speaking of which, check out the Squid and the Whale)) isn't obscure, but I'll go so far as to say I Saw the Devil is. Just as hard to watch and utterly disgusting, but a perfect film staring Min Chik Soy and the korean guy in the new GI Joe movies I haven't seen. There's also Chan-Wook Park's other films, notably Lady Vengeance.

Also not too obscure and Asian, Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha and Throne of Blood are too often overlooked. Both are samurai epics, while Throne of Blood is the best version of MacBeth out there, period. Stephen Chow's Shaolin Soccor is wacky slapstick humor and that cute girl from John Woo's sweeping action epic, Red Cliff (watch the five hour version. It's awesome. Like Lord of the Rings but they use real extras, so there's battles with, like, hundreds of people.)

I heard of a movie called The American Astronaut that I haven't seen, but it's like a space musical or something. The premise is interesting, definitely, and all the music is done by some band no ones ever heard of. I've also never seen Karate-Robo Zabogar, but I want to, and you should too.

Submarine is an adorable Welsh(?) movie that is very Rushmore-esque but can still hold it's own against Wes Anderson. Singham is this horrendously paced but brutally funny and strange Bollywood action film that goes from sucide to slow mo walking to marriage jokes like it's no one's business.

And finally, Infernal Affairs is that awesome Hong Kong crime thriller with great acting and character development that Martin Scorsese "remade" (ripped off) and won Oscars for. This is the best version.Only the headshot scene is worse than in the Departed, although in the Departed's case they opened up extra plot holes for the sake of looking cool for the kiddies.

Back