Buying a drum mat

That seems like it would do the trick, as long as it is enough space for your kit. I just use an old rug that I had laying around, and it does awesome. It was somewhat expensive though, so getting a cheaper mat would be best.

I'd recommend going to a carpet warehouse and asking for an offcut. I got a piece of rubberbacked office carpet around twice the size of the diameter you're after for 10 quid.

Let's see, that comes to about $80 US....

I went to a chain hardware/lumber store (like Home Depot or Lowes in the US, I don't know what you have in the UK) and, for about $30< I bought an industrial mat aprox 6' x 8' that rolls up neatly into a tube (talk about your "carpet tunnel syndrome" LOL) and had money left over for more gear... ...but, I'm cheap.

I got my at Bed, Bath and Beyond. 5 x 6 feet for 30 dollars

BB&B, Wal-Mart, Lowes or HD will work or your equivalent. Funny story.
I had a very nice rug. I packed it up when I moved from my parents home and I used it for years. One night I let the guitarist pack everything into my car/van because my bad knee was acting up. Usually the rug would line the back of the car and everything else would stack on top of it. When I did my "idiot check" to make sure we had everything. I accounted for everything but the rug which I wouldn't have been able to see under the gear anyway. We left the gig and the next day as I was loading out for my next gig I noticed my rug was not there. I called the place we played the previous night and they did not have it. The guitarist explained to me he threw it over the outside wall of the outdoor patio where we were set up and forgot to pack it when he came out of the otherside. A few months go by and my mother comes over and asks me why I don't have the rug in my livingroom. I explain to her what happened and she proceeded to explain to me it was a $900 rug. She thought I was going to have it in my home. Oops!

Back