Cutting a hole in the bass drum...How big, methods etc...

Re: Cutting a hole in the bass drum...How big, etc...

before i place hole in bass, i will use a can to burn, do i loosen the head? leave it stretched? i am not sure abt that??

here's another idea that my fiancee actually came up with, she does a lot of scrap booking, go to the local crafts store (Hobby Lobby etc) and you can pickup a circle cutter, you can get cheap ones for like $10-$15... works like magic with no fuss about trying to get a straight cut. Some I've seen are even adjustable from 1-8"

Hey what's up guys? If you cut the hole in the center of the bass drum, it's like not having a front head at all. If you want the hole to serve the purpose of a mic' portal, it's good to have it between 4"-8" on the very outside edge of the head. I put mine halfway up and all the way to the right. It's 8". My yamaha kit came with a plastic ring, that was 8", with an adhesive on the back of it. I just stuck the ring on and then cut the inner circle out with a razor blade. It's a good idea to sand down the hole after you cut it out, also. You or some sound guy could get cut on the sharp edges. Also a 6" or 8" splash cymbal is good to trace a circle, and then cut the circle out with a razor blade. Some sand-papering will clean up the edges.

Bouncing Pedal fixed by hole?

I recently emailed dw and complained about the fact my 7000 pedal bounces massively. I got a reply saying that if I were to cut a 6" inch Porthole, It would let more air out solving the problem. Can I have a few opinions on that.

I have a 22" Bass Drum whit a 5" hole in the right bttom of the head

it sound cool, have a nice low.end and i think it doesnt affect teh atack

I was hoping someone could help me with this subject too. I've been drumming for about almost 3 years now and I have a 20"(diameter)x16"(depth) bass drum, anyone got suggestions for a hole size and how to go about it. I know cutting a hole gives the bass drum more beater attack presence, but want to try and keep as much bass depth in the sound as I can. Anyone got any suggestions?

Re: Bouncing Pedal fixed by hole?

I recently emailed dw and complained about the fact my 7000 pedal bounces massively. I got a reply saying that if I were to cut a 6" inch Porthole, It would let more air out solving the problem. Can I have a few opinions on that.

The hole definitely solves the pedal bounce problem, which is the only reason I have a hole in my front head. To me, it requires a completely different foot technique to play on kit with no hole in the front head.

I'd like to know more about how to successfully play without the hole, because at times I have been required to play on a backline or house kit that has no hole and it is awful for me.

If anyone has any input on, or suggestions for this, I would love to hear it!! Thanks.

I was hoping someone could help me with this subject too. I've been drumming for about almost 3 years now and I have a 20"(diameter)x16"(depth) bass drum, anyone got suggestions for a hole size and how to go about it. I know cutting a hole gives the bass drum more beater attack presence, but want to try and keep as much bass depth in the sound as I can. Anyone got any suggestions?

If you take your bass drum skin to your local drum shop they should cut the hole for you and show you the right size. note if u are a recording in a band make shure they cut the hole in thr middle of the skin as it makes it easier to put the mic in u can have the hole to the left or right.. what ever u like but it must be half way up the skin. now for your depth issue make your front bass skin fairly loose only make your lugs just past finger tight this works really well for me but make shure its not to loose of it will just make a flapping noise....

I have a 22" bass drum! What is the best size of hole for my bass drum?????????????????????????

Liam

I have to agree that DW has one of ...if not the best solution with the vented front heads....I also am NOT a big fan of dead thumpy bass drums....I think drums are supposed to have some tone...and you can't add back in what you take away....I used to have a porthole...or no front heads...I would never go back to that version again.

A warning to anyone considering getting bass drum hole re-enforcements. Stick to the Holz brand, I bought one of those Bass Drum O's from Ebay but the two parts don't stay together!! Someone has mentioned this already, just wanted to re-iterate...

The max hole size I would put is a 6" but I have a 4" which did enhance the sound of my bass a bit and it hardly touched the resonance. I just used the melting can trick and duct tape on the hole and it worked fine. Just throw an empty can upside down on the stove until it is very hot and then place it on the head where you want the hole and it will melt it percisely.

Quick funny story about cutting a hole over Thanksgiving...

I was visiting my wifes family, and staying with my brother-in-law who is also a drummer. He had a really nice Mapex kit that needed some love. It was all taped up and the bass drum was literally stuffed with egg-crate and blankets and was totally dead. After a few (dozen) beers that day I decided to help him bring the kit to life. We spent an hour or so retuning everything and ended with the bass drum. I gave him my opinion about cutting holes and told him that I'd screwed up every one I ever trid to do free hand, but he was an "artist" and insisted that he was a master with an X-acto knife. I asked if he needed another round. He strapped a head-lamp to his head and looking like a deranged surgeon began carving into the head. About 15 minutes later and a lot of laughter he ended up with a not-so-round, CD sized hole in no particular semetrical alignment on his bass drum. We went to the shop the next day and got a new head.

Lesson? DON"T CUT A HOLE FREEHAND WHILE DRINKING!

hahahahaha

Good adivce Garvin.

A good advice too is don't drink any wine or something while you're carring your things to your car, usually the Bars or venues are little hot and outside a little cold....not a good mix

Victor

Last edited:
Folks,
Theres a great tool from Holz ... same guys who make the drum `O`s for cutting holes , works perfect every time and you can adjust it from like 1 inch to 10....

I never record at the moment but i do play live. Would I be better off to put a hole in my reso head? I am probably not going to do so as I like the sound of my bass drum at the moment and I do not like the sound of the beater actually making contact with the head but I just thought I would see what u guys views are.

short answer:definately cut the hole. Here's why in my opinion: someone made reference to Max's kit on the Conan O'Brien show. He doesn't have a hole in the resonant head. That kit never moves from the riser probably. He is dealing with the best of the best of everything. Sound engineers, mics and who knows what else. Most of us are dealing with the other side of that coin. Different place everyday, setting up quickly, a great or not so great sound man. In my opinion the kick drum should breathe. 6" to 4" hole at about 4:30 or 5:00 on the resonant head. It won't kill the resonance. Holz makes a good tool for that.

I just got finished using a heated 4" coffee can on my front bass head. It worked great!!! very easy, very precise.

Back