Recording Issue

Abel

I finally gathered some equipment to do some small scale recording and I am faced with an issue.

I'm getting static from an unknown source. I'm using an older M Box USB powered MIDI device and running the SPDIF out into my computer's mic jack using a regular headphone aux cable. I'm suspecting this is the source of the static.

10316_1236235515332_1512540082_654552_2928650_n.jpg

I don't have the software for the Mbox, and will try to acquire it if I can. I'm not sure if that would make it feed the signal through the USB and allow me to get rid of the AUX cable all-together.I'm using Audacity right now.

I'll get some snare recorded today and post here in a bit so you can hear it for yourself.

Here myspace. All the tracks have this annoying static to them, but Acoustic Snare Test shows it the most.

Yes, the mbox should run just fine with just the usb cable if the protools software is installed. For static, i would check your instrument/ mic cable. What software are you running? Mbox is designed to run specifically protools

You shouldn't be using the headphone socket.

If the M box has USB connectivity then you should USB-connect the MBox to the laptop/pc. Then you plug your mics/1/4" jacks into the MBox inputs? Then you should be able to record directly into your protools software.

Davo

I am currently using audacity. Pro-tools is expensive, but could I use the Mbox product number to get a copy for free?

I am currently using audacity. Pro-tools is expensive, but could I use the Mbox product number to get a copy for free?

I doubt it. Digidesign are usually a bunch of pricks if you don't own a registered copy of the software. Worth a shot to contact them about your situation. Look on craigslist in your town too, there's always a hacker selling bootleg protools disks. If you live in the USA, i might have an older version or 2 of protools lying around that i can send to you. I think it's like 6.7 or 6.9.

Back