Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

... Once in a great while, a fan will say that I'm amazing, and I quickly correct them. Vinnie is amazing. Bozzio is amazing. Buddy was amazing. There are precious few drummers in that league.

I don't think comparisons to other drummers should be the measuring stick for "amazing-ness". The majority of us grew up listening to your playing, either on the radio, on our old tape walkmans or even on the MTV before they decided that music wasn't required on the channel. That's amazing. You play damn near every style, you copy other players with great accuracy, and you play in local bands to "keep it real". To top it all off, you offer your advice and commentary to help other drummers here.

You're an amazing musician to a lot of people. Get over it.

As for the extra showmanship, that is an opinion, but it's based on what I see in the real world, which is that there are very few working drummers who express themselves that way from behind the kit. But, that's really a decision for whoever auditions Casey for a job, and Casey will learn the ins & outs as time goes on, just as we all (hopefully) did.

He's certainly got more people paying attention to him than I did when I was 22, and I gladly give him his propers for that.

Bermuda

This and other things on this thread bring to mind Steve Moore. He didn't market himself on yt, but his career certainly leap into the exosphere as a result of it.

And then there's that guy who plays drums to classical compositions. I forget his name. He ended up doing a DVD with an orchestra, right? I haven't seen it, but I saw something about it somewhere. So, while it may not be common it does seem quite possible yt can help someone's exposure and thereby their career as a result.

I don't think comparisons to other drummers should be the measuring stick for "amazing-ness". The majority of us grew up listening to your playing, either on the radio, on our old tape walkmans or even on the MTV before they decided that music wasn't required on the channel. That's amazing. You play damn near every style, you copy other players with great accuracy, and you play in local bands to "keep it real". To top it all off, you offer your advice and commentary to help other drummers here.

+1

Bermuda, Your playing has been in more listens ears (listeners....not drummers) than anybody participating on this forum put together....including Casey. (Weather he knows that or not)

I'm one of those people Wasto is talking about.

D

This and other things on this thread bring to mind Steve Moore. He didn't market himself on yt, but his career certainly leap into the exosphere as a result of it... So, while it may not be common it does seem quite possible yt can help someone's exposure and thereby their career as a result.

With all due respect to Steve's viral - but unwitting - YT exposure, he'd already been doing his gig, his "schtick", had his Ludwig and other endorsements, and also put out a DVD, well before someone posted the "drummer at the wrong gig" video. I've known Steve since before that time as well, and I don't recall him ever promoting himself on YT from the comfort of his home. However, there's no question he became better known as a result of that particular clip going viral, and there have been some fun opportunities for him since.

Bermuda

+1

Bermuda, Your playing has been in more listens ears (listeners....not drummers) than anybody participating on this forum put together....including Casey. (Weather he knows that or not)

Thanks, and thanks! :)

What the hell- has this thread become "What do you think of B3RMUDADRUMM3R?? ; )
Seriously though, how could you not love Weird Al (and associated drumming).

With all due respect to Steve's viral - but unwitting - YT exposure, he'd already been doing his gig, his "schtick", had his Ludwig and other endorsements, and also put out a DVD, well before someone posted the "drummer at the wrong gig" video. I've known Steve since before that time as well, and I don't recall him ever promoting himself on YT from the comfort of his home. However, there's no question he became better known as a result of that particular clip going viral, and there have been some fun opportunities for him since.

Bermuda

Ah. Well, no disrespect to Steve, but I had not heard of him before someone emailed that yt vid to me. It's obvious he had his schtick going before the vid went viral. He certainly didn't begin performing those moves without a great deal of practice. It might be argued millions of people now know of him without knowing his actual name. He's 'that crazy drummer." That's the phenomenon of youtube.

I may be wrong but I tend to think youtube and other such sites yet to come will be the main source of concert promotion and viewing in the future. Musicians in the flesh may fade away as technology increases. Wall size televisions becoming common. What are now considered top of the line sound systems ending up in the homes of every average person ... slide your debit card in a personal tracker, and watch the concert from the comfort of your home in a environment that will seem better than being there. Special sound stages developed for the purpose. Playing to millions rather than thousands. It's done now to a degree, but things like youtube will make it happen and become as common as people heading out to the local club to catch a band.

I definitely agree with Bermuda about the fact that the term " amazing" gets thrown out way too often in music circles. Miles Davis was amazing, Sinatra was amazing, Coltrane was amazing, etc. When people call every guy with some facility on an instrument amazing it seems disrespectful to the guys who really are the greats.

On the topic of what it is we do as drummers -- and what we can do as players to get closer to "amazing" -- I always think of bass players and think of the few great bass players I've played with in my life. The thing they had in common is they were easy to play with and grooved like mad.

Easier said than done, of course, for drummers as it is for bass players.

Haha. :( lol. Stay classy
Lol back. It's pretty un-classy to drop terms like "haters" and "dog piling" as soon as a post comes around criticizing some aspects involved with Casey that you might not fully agree with. Seems extremely fanboyish to me (maybe fangirlish in your case, I don't know). And why do you think people are rushing for negative replies? Why do you suppose the "haters" are upset when replying? Maybe it still didn't strike your mind that some people aren't floored by Casey - be it his personality, playing, way of presenting himself/coming across, distribution between showmanship and 'true' drumming skills - there's so many things. And did you notice that the "haters" are presenting argumentation to back up their view?

Do you get paid acting as his advocate? Why not simply lean back and allow for some discussion instead of whining all the time? Discussion is the purpose of this forum in case you didn't know. Remember: If you don't like some replies - feel free to _not_ post.

Last edited:
Am I missing something? He plays about as well as a first year Berklee student. Stick tricks are friggin' played out, too.

Yeah, OK. Instead of following someone like Gavin Harrison or Chris Dave on YT, I'm gonna follow this kid.

Someone needs to look up the definition of the word "amazing."

Now go and jump all over me, see if I care.

Ah. Well, no disrespect to Steve, but I had not heard of him before someone emailed that yt vid to me. It's obvious he had his schtick going before the vid went viral. He certainly didn't begin performing those moves without a great deal of practice. It might be argued millions of people now know of him without knowing his actual name. He's 'that crazy drummer." That's the phenomenon of youtube.

Just by chance I happened to meet Steve at NAMM last January.
It appears he quite realizes and embraces his situation. I found him very humble, and extremely funny. I told him about the "no gold jackets" picture that has been floating around this forum, and he found it hilarious.

I may be wrong but I tend to think youtube and other such sites yet to come will be the main source of concert promotion and viewing in the future. Musicians in the flesh may fade away as technology increases. Wall size televisions becoming common. What are now considered top of the line sound systems ending up in the homes of every average person ... slide your debit card in a personal tracker, and watch the concert from the comfort of your home in a environment that will seem better than being there. Special sound stages developed for the purpose. Playing to millions rather than thousands. It's done now to a degree, but things like youtube will make it happen and become as common as people heading out to the local club to catch a band.

Yes, the technology already exists, it's just not common place yet.
With google glasses and such emerging technologies, one day very soon, you won't have to drive to the venue to see a band perform, just put on your gear, pay the fee, and you'll get the full concert experience from home.

+1

Bermuda, Your playing has been in more listens ears (listeners....not drummers) than anybody participating on this forum put together....

True, very true.

So if you choose to express a particular point of view you're accused of being a shill or a close relation of Casey?

Right....

Back