Can younger people appreciate music better than people of an advanced age?

I think it takes a lot more for older people to become impressed. The mechanization of music is a huge turn off to me, so anything with autotune and even click tracks leave me cold. Which is a big portion of new music. I don't really seek out much new music because I probably won't be playing any of it, so it holds no interest to me. I do seek out past masters sometimes. I want to spend any time I have listening to masters, not the pop flavor of the week.

My son will keep me a tiny bit little current on some cool new stuff. Tera Melos is his favorite band and I will admit that their playing makes my head spin, in a good way. It's math rock. Most of it is in 4/4 but it fools you into thinking it's an odd time sig with all the beat displacements and over the barline stuff.

Often young people use music taste to define who they are within social groups (dare I say "cliques" :). When our tastes change as we age, it's often that we discard the music we embraced more for social than sonic reasons.

As for the older generation being closed minded to new music, that HAS to happen. New generations of youth seek to define and express themselves via music, and they want music that relates to them NOW, not what was relevant to teens 30 years ago. So it's important to them to depart from the old ways, which of course means the music feels almost purpose built to irritate those of their parents' generation.

Pure wisdom there Polly. Social is nearly as important, or even more so as 'sonic', at least short term when you're 'young'. I bought Kiss Alive my 1st album and wouldn't go near the stuff a few years later (for sonic reasons)

My point was that Captain Obvious (J your new name?) and all the rest of us past 40 on here are busy making livings. This means no time to hang out and investigate new music. Sonically we would find a lot of it a retread.... the same way young folks found 'new Grunge' to be a 'new sound' in the early 90's but it really was not unlike 'old garage' of early 70's like MC5.

Lots of subjective comments on here with no facts. People put their dollars where their interests and likes are. What are the marketing figures? What kind of music is bought and by what age group? That speaks.

Looks like the striped Madge and Bacterium Boxfrugus has resumed clique-building activities :)

Social is nearly as important, or even more so as 'sonic', at least short term when you're 'young'. I bought Kiss Alive my 1st album and wouldn't go near the stuff a few years later (for sonic reasons)

I tried very hard to get into it because some local friends were into it, but something about it didn't work for me. I was much more into the British bands and sound (without knowing it).

My point was that Captain Obvious (J your new name?)

lol no, it was self referential. Jay had written "Young people, and musicians, can appreciate music far better than anyone else, age notwithstanding, for reasons too obvious to need to go into" and I went into it :)

The term "Captain Obvious" was stolen from Larry(ace) when he made a statement that he thought was obvious ...

... all the rest of us past 40 on here are busy making livings. This means no time to hang out and investigate new music. Sonically we would find a lot of it a retread.... the same way young folks found 'new Grunge' to be a 'new sound' in the early 90's but it really was not unlike 'old garage' of early 70's like MC5.

I get in trouble from that. My nephew complained to me that whenever he played me some music I'd say "That's just like ..." (ie. point out the influences and ripoffs). Either that or dis the techno, usually with something vaguely positive during the psychedelic setup of the first few bars and complete distaste once the doofing starts.

Looks like the striped Madge and Bacterium Boxfrugus has resumed clique-building activities :)

I get in trouble from that. My nephew complained to me that whenever he played me some music I'd say "That's just like ..." (ie. point out the influences and ripoffs).

Ahem, can I just remind you that he's Sir BFY now?

As to the other point, I'm just discovering music that was groundbreaking in its day so it's rather nice to be able to be legitimately wowed by it!

It was a poor attempt at a joke

If I'd known you better I'd probably have realised. I can be hard work sometimes.

With age comes an enhanced ability to predict pain.

...now you kids get off my lawn!

Back