Nietzsche's Philosophy and Drums

BassDriver

Silver Member
Is there any other element of Friedrich Nietzsche's philosophy that you think is applicable to the art of drumming?

"Art is the proper task of life."

"Art raises its head where creeds relax."

"In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play."

"Many a man fails as an original thinker simply because his memory it too good."

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude."

"There are no facts, only interpretations."

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

"Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it."

He had this philosophy not of comfort but that to achieve anything worthwhile will have challenges that cause suffering along the way, and how you deal with those difficulties determines if you get what you want.

That might empower you, or make you feel worse.

For Nietzsche being like everyone else is not enough for someone to be (deeply) happy.

Sure, this one comes to mind:

"I will do such things, what they are yet I know not, but they shall be the terror of the earth."

Not that it has anything to do with playing the drums.

Let's see, I've got old Bertrand Russell here now. Here's a good one from our pal Nietzsche:

"The object is to attain that enormous energy of greatness which can model the man of the future by means of discipline and also by means of the annihilation of millions of the bungled and botched."

Yeah, well...Nietzche was kind of a prick, you know. He was also insane.

Yeah, well...Nietzche was kind of a prick, you know. He was also insane.

He did spend the last ten years of his life in a mental institution, but your judgement of him being a "prick" is based on the very values that he attacked so ferociously.

...but for the sake of these forums, lets stick to the approach to achievement, rather than his morals or metaphysical beliefs.

Nice quotes, BD, but there have been tons of punch-ups on the forum over this one - "There are no facts, only interpretations". If Matt and Wy weren't alive they'd turn in their graves ...

I get what Jay's saying, though, because a security guard in an old job was bitter and twisted about the way women had treated him in the past and regularly quoted some highly misogynist Neitzsche sayings at me.

I decided to Google up some music quotes - I like these ones

Music and silence combine strongly because music is done with silence, and silence is full of music.
Marcel Marceau

If the King loves music, it is well with the land.
Mencius

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life.
Ludwig van

I don't care much about music. What I like is sounds.
Dizzy Gillespie

Music and silence combine strongly because music is done with silence, and silence is full of music.
Marcel Marceau

Ofcourse, silence is after all an element of music, those rests mean something.

I get what Jay's saying, though, because a security guard in an old job was bitter and twisted about the way women had treated him in the past and regularly quoted some highly misogynist Neitzsche sayings at me.

Apparently Nietzsche also had a bitter sentiment towards women, they were, after all, scared by his huge moustache.

Nice quotes, BD, but there have been tons of punch-ups on the forum over this one - "There are no facts, only interpretations". If Matt and Wy weren't alive they'd turn in their graves ...

That's funny because I was wondering about wy yung discussing on this forum, I wonder what he would think about "That which does not kill us makes us stronger.".

Following Nietzsche's philosophy will leave one alone, sad, broke, crazy and then finally dead without any hope for anything such as an afterlife. Worst of all, it strips away the most basic of human necessities...love.

...but if you want to live in a deep dark hole where you feel like you are so much better than every one else that you must get away from them, then hop on in!

Uberarsemunch, cough, erm, I meant Ubermensch!

At least he wasn't Hegel, who I understand was like Nietzsche without the nice bits.

Back