G2 up against the Super 2 - Help me choose please!

BigDinSD

Gold Member
G2 up against the Super 2 - What are the differences, sound - wise?

Fellow drummers,

I am doing my first head change on my DW maple Collectors. I have decided on the Aquarian Coated Response 2 for the snare batter. Kinda like that snap, dry - pop sound.
Keeping the stock DW remo reso head.

I have read a whole bunch of reviews on the forum, which were extremely helpful for drum head choices. I need some help for tom batters. I have narrowed it down to the ever reliable Coated G2 and the Aquarian Coated Super 2.

The G2 are no doubt a top favorite. However, I am curious about the sound the Super 2 would give, because of the 7 mil + 5 mil head.

Has anyone used these 2 and how does their sound, tone, attack, sustain, etc compare?

Is there one that has more punch, attack, and not too dry. I have heard the Super 2's can sound like cardboard boxes. That didn't make sense since they have a thinner ply.
I'm hoping for some feedback from anyone who has played or compared the 2.

If it matters, I play a lot of alternative, Christian rock and will be keeping the DW stock reso heads.

Any feedback and help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Fellow drummers,

I am doing my first head change on my DW maple Collectors. I have decided on the Aquarian Coated Response 2 for the snare batter. Kinda like that snap, dry - pop sound.
Keeping the stock DW remo reso head.

I have read a whole bunch of reviews on the forum, which were extremely helpful for drum head choices. I need some help for tom batters. I have narrowed it down to the ever reliable Coated G2 and the Aquarian Coated Super 2.

The G2 are no doubt a top favorite. However, I am curious about the sound the Super 2 would give, because of the 7 mil + 5 mil head.

Has anyone used these 2 and how does their sound, tone, attack, sustain, etc compare?

Is there one that has more punch, attack, and not too dry. I have heard the Super 2's can sound like cardboard boxes. That didn't make sense since they have a thinner ply.
I'm hoping for some feedback from anyone who has played or compared the 2.

If it matters, I play a lot of alternative, Christian rock and will be keeping the DW stock reso heads.

Any feedback and help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The Super 2s are thinner, therefore would have less sustain. Plus, I believe they have a control ring that muffles the head pretty heavily... the G2 doesn't have that. They'll be much more open in sound.

The Super 2s are thinner, therefore would have less sustain. Plus, I believe they have a control ring that muffles the head pretty heavily... the G2 doesn't have that. They'll be much more open in sound.

Thanks Chaos
Ahh...Ok. Kinda what I thought. The G2's seem to be more popular. Is it just because of marketing, or a more recently introduced product. Is it due to sound / performance quality?

The normal Super-2 has no muffling ring, though it is an option. It's the same construction as the Remo Vintage A. The G2 is the response to the Remo Emperor, one of the best drumheads ever, so it's a standard. Aquarian has always been less popular than Evans and Remo, but IMO just as good, if not better. The coating lasts forever. The Response 2 is the same weight as the G2's, 2 plies of 7 mil Mylar.

The normal Super-2 has no muffling ring, though it is an option. It's the same construction as the Remo Vintage A. The G2 is the response to the Remo Emperor, one of the best drumheads ever, so it's a standard. Aquarian has always been less popular than Evans and Remo, but IMO just as good, if not better. The coating lasts forever. The Response 2 is the same weight as the G2's, 2 plies of 7 mil Mylar.

Thanks for the info jodgey4, good info amongst the top 3.

Almost leaning towards the coated Super 2's without the muffling ring. Unless I'm missing something, it appears the main sound difference between the G2 and Super 2 would be sustain (?) One other difference is that the Super 2's are more expensive.

Open to any other comments....

Have you gotten to check the heads out in person? Visit a local drum shop and check them out. Depending on the shop, you may even get to throw some heads on drums there to make a comparison (assuming you're interested in outfitting all of your toms).

Having compared many, many drum heads (including these two), I would stick with the G2 but I bet that doesn't come as a surprise...

Have you gotten to check the heads out in person? Visit a local drum shop and check them out. Depending on the shop, you may even get to throw some heads on drums there to make a comparison (assuming you're interested in outfitting all of your toms).

Having compared many, many drum heads (including these two), I would stick with the G2 but I bet that doesn't come as a surprise...

Hey man!

I was waiting for you to chime in! And I do appreciate all the info you give us.

No doubt, all the guys at my local GC use the G2's AND SUGGEST them! They didn't have the Super 2's in stock to compare.

I was only curious about the Super 2's because of their ply make-up. I am returning some Remo heads tomorrow at the local GC and if they have some G2's on a 10 in TOM, I'll give a listen. Might just grab them if they sound good. They sure sound good off youtube. But, as everyone says, in person is best.
Thanks!

Buy one of each..same size, 12" is a good tunable dia. Do a head to head..so to speak. Choose the one you like. Worst case your out $15, and you have a back up head JIC.
W

FYI....

Some head sizes are not stocked (10in for example) at your local dealer. I had to track down one from Sam Ash. If you like these, keep an extra one handy!
I'll let you know how it sounds when it arrives!

I was facing the same choice recently and I went with G2's on my 10, 12, 14 birch/basswood toms. They seemed to have more sustain than the super2's .I am happy with my decision. They sound great with G1 resos IMO.

I was facing the same choice recently and I went with G2's on my 10, 12, 14 birch/basswood toms. They seemed to have more sustain than the super2's .I am happy with my decision. They sound great with G1 resos IMO.

Thanks Sedgewick!

Glad I'm not the only who's faced this interesting choice. I went with the Super 2 for the 10in tom. Man, it was kinda hard tracking it down. No one local carried that size.

I'll listen to a mounted 12" G2 at the local GC. My Super 2's will be here in a few days. I'll be sure to note the sustain. That seems to be the main diff. Can't wait even though the comparisons are different size toms.

This may not help much but I put a set of G2's on an old set of Tama rockstars and they blew me away... havent used anything since.. when I ordered my Sonor 3007s I also ordered replacement G2's for them. The sonors come with a descent stock head but again the difference is amazing. I tune my toms down real low to point just above muddy and the G2's work great for this sound.

This may not help much but I put a set of G2's on an old set of Tama rockstars and they blew me away... havent used anything since.. when I ordered my Sonor 3007s I also ordered replacement G2's for them. The sonors come with a descent stock head but again the difference is amazing. I tune my toms down real low to point just above muddy and the G2's work great for this sound.

Cool...any feedback helps any purchase of drum heads!
...especially feedback with the words "cardboard box, etc..." in any camp!

Just an update on the Coated Response 2 snare batter:

I know the head is also used for toms. I found it had a limited tuning range on my snare. Almost had to be cranked pretty tight. I ended up making a dampener ring out of the old DW head to calm the excessive ringing.

Sounds nice finally. I saw that Mike Johnston uses this on his snare without any dampening. It's probably my tuning, as I am no expert...we'll see in a few months with a different head. Now to Musician's Friend to give my review!

The Super 2 10" Tom Batter ended up sounding nice. It's a little thinner than the G2, so a little more resonance and little more decay if you are into that.

Last edited:
Just an update on the Coated Response 2 snare batter:

I know the head is also used for toms. I found it had a limited tuning range on my snare. Almost had to be cranked pretty tight. I ended up making a dampener ring out of the old DW head to calm the excessive ringing.

Sounds nice finally. I saw that Mike Johnston uses this on his snare without any dampening. It's probably my tuning, as I am no expert...we'll see in a few months with a different head. Now to Musician's Friend to give my review!

The Super 2 10" Tom Batter ended up sounding nice. It's a little thinner than the G2, so a little more resonance and little more decay if you are into that.

It might be the drum too. (Or hoops...) Many factors come in to play here.

I use a Coated Response 2 on my LM400. For me, it's the perfect sound. I usually tune it around medium but will occasionally tune a little higher. So I think the drum you put the head on determines the tuning range.

It might be the drum too. (Or hoops...) Many factors come in to play here.

I use a Coated Response 2 on my LM400. For me, it's the perfect sound. I usually tune it around medium but will occasionally tune a little higher. So I think the drum you put the head on determines the tuning range.

Whoa, that head must sound nice on that snare! I can just imagine...

I think the main factor, besides the equipment, is my tuning skills. I kept tightening to get rid of the ringing and probably tightened too much. I backed it out in small increments last night, and much better. I know people have had good luck with these so it's gotta be my tuning. Mike J has them sounding good on his DW snare too. (unless he has a SOLID or EDGE...mine is regular collectors 6-10)

Another skill to polish...

I can't really quote on specifications, but I know from now on I will more than likely be an Evans/Remo guy.

Super 2's are probably the best head Aquarian makes, they are easy to tune, sound pretty good and last a long time. But it is the only head that I've really found I like from Aquarian. I am disappointed in my Studio-X's and I've heard others and played other Aquarian heads that I've never liked.

I'd say the G2 because it is so open and resonant, the Super 2 would be fatter and thicker. I've owned and played both. Depending on what you're looking for I'd say go for the G2.

I can't really quote on specifications, but I know from now on I will more than likely be an Evans/Remo guy.

Super 2's are probably the best head Aquarian makes, they are easy to tune, sound pretty good and last a long time. But it is the only head that I've really found I like from Aquarian. I am disappointed in my Studio-X's and I've heard others and played other Aquarian heads that I've never liked.

I'd say the G2 because it is so open and resonant, the Super 2 would be fatter and thicker. I've owned and played both. Depending on what you're looking for I'd say go for the G2.

I was able to get the S2 to sing on my 10" tom. I do like its resonance and decay. Very pleased there is no cardboard box - tone here. Probably will keep it on the small Tom. FedEx just dropped off G2's for the 12, 14, 16 toms. That 16 kinda growls loud and wild (DW original single plys), and needs a little control (IMO).

Now...the Coated Response 2...sheesh...still fine tuning between strong, deep, crack/pop -versus choking. All this while controlling the ringing. Truly a head that requires patience and good tuning skills. Both of which I am still learning. Switching to Evans Genera HD dry in a few...
Preciate the input man!

Last edited:
Back