New Paiste Giant Beat Setup

cadwiz

Here's my kit with my new cymbal setup. I decided to go with all paiste giant beat. The sound is totally what I've been looking for. I love their classic sound, versatility and looks. It's funny cuz I've always been a zildjian fan. I guess my ears have changed over the years.

Any other zildjian paiste converts?

15" HiHats
18" Multi
20" Multi
24" Ride

ddrum-front.jpg

ddrum-right.jpg

ddrum-left.jpg

ddrum-top-front.jpg

ddrum-top-rear-1.jpg

Personally, I think the Giant Beat and the 2002 lines are the best they have.

Nice set up.

Very nice i love the sound files of those cymbals, and jw how are those pedals?

Wow man, I love your kit, it looks very sharp.
I knew I had seen it before, and then I remembered that you just changed the cymbals.
Do you have any videos of you playing it?

Ohh man thats a nice kit, i love those cymbals, also that kit looks so comfortalbe to play must be nice. You now got one of my favourite kits on the forum.

It's funny cuz I've always been a zildjian fan. I guess my ears have changed over the years.

Any other zildjian paiste converts?

This just means that your are becoming a grown up, and you are developing a more sophisticated palate.

I'm using the exact same cymbal setup right now - it's such a great line from Paiste. The 24" cymbal is one of my all-time favorites - super versatile. The hats are also great since they don't have that hyper-aggressive sound that a lot of hats have now - also aren't clangy like a lot hats seem to be.

Wait till you do some recording with them. That 24 is great; with the right placement you can get a totally washed out vibe, or you can get a little more 70s definition.

How much did they run you all together man? they're nice cymbals and i might be checking them out soon

Nice kit, I love the setup. You have a very Jason McGerr-esque look now. ;)

I have a habit of taking note of peoples' throne and seating position, yours is very "square", as if you're pointing directly forward. Not that it's "wrong" in any way...but I sat like that at one time and found it more comfortable to angle the BD to my right, as if my feet and rump formed a "tripod". I got this tip from Matt Ritter's video...helped a LOT with my feet!

Anyhow, it's a beauty - would love to hear some sounds!

How much did they run you all together man? they're nice cymbals and i might be checking them out soon

I bought them through ebay. It was a much better deal than GC or MF.

18" Multi $206
20" Multi $250
15" HHat $250
24" Ride $260
Total $966

Nice kit, I love the setup. You have a very Jason McGerr-esque look now. ;)

Yeah my other drum friends say the same thing. It was seeing/hearnig him play the giant beat that first turned me on to them and of course, Bonzo the great.

I have a habit of taking note of peoples' throne and seating position, yours is very "square", as if you're pointing directly forward. Not that it's "wrong" in any way...but I sat like that at one time and found it more comfortable to angle the BD to my right, as if my feet and rump formed a "tripod". I got this tip from Matt Ritter's video...helped a LOT with my feet!

That's funny I have same video. I tried turning to the right but developed ankle problems. Straight on seems to work the same for me. Thanks for the input.

Cadwiz that is a very classy and beautiful kit. Those giant beats are the perfect addition. I don't know to much about DDrums but the finish looks super nice. Great looking drums !

What a clean setup. You were running A Customs before, correct? Very cool stuff. Great pics, too. A similar thing happened to me as a Sabian/Paiste "convert." I still love the HHX sound, and I still have that gear. However, I just was mesmerized by the Paiste Twenty series and dove in. Now I'm neck deep in Twentys. It's a nice place to be.

Enjoy!

how do they make larger models be ridable and smaller crashable ?? :S (if im right off course)

how do they make larger models be ridable and smaller crashable ?? :S (if im right off course)

In general, the concept of crash/ride or ride/crash is the that the cybal through it's material, weight, shape and mfg has charecteristics that lend itself for both riding and crashing.

Also, we have an idea of what each type (crash, ride etc.) is supposed to sound like and how it should perform. It's been my experience that c/r or r/c don't do both well. Some drummers complain that "multi" cymbal will be to washy or lacking in stick definition as a ride or that it's to "gongy" as a crash. But each multi type of cymbal has its strength. Hence, why a r/c is better for riding vs a c/r is better for crashing. For example, the 18" is an awesome crash but not so much as a ride. My 20" performs better as a ride than a crash. IMO.

Now, don't get the wrong idea. due to these characteristics multi cymbals are much more versatile and excel in some areas. You can get alot more sounds and uses from them. It's this wide range of uses that attracted me to them.

Utimately, it's all about the sound you want and how well the cymbal achieves it.

Back