Keith Moon

• Thread starter tuckerduncan2002
  • Start date
Yeah totally I heard that's the reason why it didn't come out in the 60's. Mick Jagger is totally ridiculous in that. Another great performance on that video is The Dirty Mac featuring Keith Richards on bass, John Lennon, Eric Clapton, and the one and only Mitch Mitchell on drums performing the Beatles tune Yer Blues.

I was looking at some Gene Krupa videos on Drummerworld the other day, and I immediately thought of Keith! The facial expressions, the way his arms thrust out toward the cymbals....it was a connection for me, and I agree with the people here who are careful about giving respect to those who have come before.

Keith was extremely melodic, and I think all of us can learn from that.

I also think that we can all learn from him letting his frenetic kinetics get the better of him--the most healing aspect of playing the drums for me anyway, is becoming more controlled and balanced in my day to day life.

He's always been one of my heroes because he was always totally himself, and did everything straight from the heart. I wish he had been able to overcome the alcoholism.....

Keith Moon is the father of modern rock drumming. There were definitely better drummers in that era, but Keith was the only one that fit The Who. I read his biography, and back before they were The Who(The High Numers, I think?), they had a drummer as boring as Ringo Starr.
Just to be clear, I am ragging on Ringo.
He was boring, and that's why he fit a boring band, just like Keith Moon fit a band as wild and influencing as he was.
Before, you know, he took twelve Heminevrin and died of an overdose.

Moon

158536422110bgpp9.jpg

This is how much I respect his playing.

I remember hearing songs like "Can't Explain" and "Happy Jack" when I was just starting to get into drums and just going NUTS! I would air drum Keith's parts even before I had a kit. You know a drummer's good when they make you have such a pronounced reaction.

I dont think there's any question that Kieth is one of the top ROCK drummers of all time, where perfection is not nearly as important as style. Rock drumming is about being part of the band, and I think that if he and someone like Bonham would've been in each other's shoes, neither band would be as great as they were.

now now every one is getting confused it wasent moons feet that had machine gun speed it was his hands pete towshend in a interview said that they mesuerd his speed and it was the aquivilent to a machine gun its on this link here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbrJkaZIE7k&mode=related&search=

if you to 7:00 mins and watch from there thats where pete says about his speed

2ndly the 2 difereces about john bon and keith moon
jhon bonham had the fastest foot on the planet and fast hands and he was very very thecnical
moon was fast as buggery and his fills where amazingly briliand need proof go on this and you will see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0XknwXqLDo

loutopdrummer said:
2ndly the 2 difereces about john bon and keith moon
jhon bonham had the fastest foot on the planet and fast hands and he was very very thecnical
moon was fast as buggery and his fills where amazingly briliand need proof go on this and you will see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0XknwXqLDo

If you want my opinion, the video actually illustrates that there are quite a few other differences between Bonzo and Keith Moon

Anyways that second video is quite funny to watch. I've read about those big endings where they would destroy everything, but never had the chance to see it.

I also read something from Neil Peart, explaining that Keith Moon was his idol for a long time, but that he eventually found out that he just wasn't able to play like him, because it was too disorganised. Just didn't fit his personnality.

Not my cup of tea either, but Moon was certainly one of a kind.

I'm personally a huge fan of Keith Moon. Maybe he wasn't the most organized drummer, but he had such attitude behind the set. Definately a huge fan of him.

Some of you people on here don't know what you're talking about. Keith Moon is definitely a legendary drummer. He definitely belongs in Modern Drummer Magazine's "Drum Hall Of Fame". Keith Moon is influential as hell and was a very innovative drummer. I rank him second on my list for "Best Rock Drummer Of All Time". Bonham is first. It's true that he's overrated a bit, but so is Neil Peart. But Moon's timekeeping is underrated. I personally don't feel that his timekeeping was bad or a problem. On all of The Who's albums that I've listened to and all of the live performances I've seen or heard, Moon was always on time. He was a bit sloppy in his playing, but he was so unique and distinct. And I've read that he was always humble when people complimented him on his drumming. He would deny that he had chops. Another thing I've read is that Moon was at a Billy Cobham drum clinic once and Cobham let him play. Cobham commented to Moon something along the lines of: "I don't know what it is that you're doing, but keep on doing it." High praise indeed. Kenney Jones is underrated. Take care. Later.

Matt Minadeo said:
Some of you people on here don't know what you're talking about. Keith Moon is definitely a legendary drummer. He definitely belongs in Modern Drummer Magazine's "Drum Hall Of Fame". Keith Moon is influential as hell and was a very innovative drummer. I rank him second on my list for "Best Rock Drummer Of All Time". Bonham is first. It's true that he's overrated a bit, but so is Neil Peart. But Moon's timekeeping is underrated. I personally don't feel that his timekeeping was bad or a problem. On all of The Who's albums that I've listened to and all of the live performances I've seen or heard, Moon was always on time. He was a bit sloppy in his playing, but he was so unique and distinct. And I've read that he was always humble when people complimented him on his drumming. He would deny that he had chops. Another thing I've read is that Moon was at a Billy Cobham drum clinic once and Cobham let him play. Cobham commented to Moon something along the lines of: "I don't know what it is that you're doing, but keep on doing it." High praise indeed. Kenney Jones is underrated. Take care. Later.

Hello Matt,

Michael here. You sound to me like a real Who fan. I'm a fan also, but to put Keith Moon 2nd Best rock drummer of all time, is a bit of a stretch. Not to say he wasn't a great rock drummer, 'cause he was, but you're leaving out alot of other drummers that I believe were more influentual then Moon. Such as Paice, Appice, Bruford, Palmer, Copeland, Baker, Mitchell, Porcaro, Peart, etc... I would definitely put Moon at or near the top of the list for "Most Unique Rock Drummer Of All Time". And to say that Neil Peart is overrated is as far from accurate as you can get. Nice story about the Billy Cobham clinic, though. Thanks. Play On!

Last edited:
Keith Moon was and is (on recordings), in my opinion and for lack of a better word, a beast. A little sloppy, yes. A lot crazy, yes. However, his playing influenced many and he did some really cool stuff. "Bargain" has some sweet drumming, as does "Happy Jack" and I also love his fills in "My Wife". Moon is one of the greats and nothing can convince ME otherwise! Bravo, Keith.

Rudy McRudster said:
I was never a fan of Keith Moon. His style is always so sloppy and, a lot of the time, overplayed. And if there's one groove that makes my blood boil it's definately "You Better", or at least I think that's what it's called. It is just so annoying and never goes anywhere.

Now, I'm not saying he's terrible. He's been a big influence to many drummers, but I just don't like his style.
If your talking about "you better you bet" that was Kenny Jones the Faces old drummer.

Bonzolead

The thing I liked about Keith Moon was that he was his own person no one played or sounded like Keith Moon just like no one sounded or played like John Bonham you can tell he was self taught just like Bonham and to think they used to party together can only imagine the crazy times they had.he wasn't. the best but he was totally original.

Keep swatting,
Bonzolead

This guy blows my mind. He ranks atop my favorite drummers list (see my avatar) and second on my "greatest of all time" list (Behind Bonzo of course). His playing is so hectic, and confusing and creative, it blows my mind. One of the most original, and creative players ever.

In this age of super-technical over-rehearsed percussionists we are lacking a sense of individuality in the glaring spotlight of showboating. Moonie was not a technician but as Ginger Baker once said of him: "What he did was appropriate for the Who." Drumming to fit the music, it would seem, is of the utmost. The Who wouldn't have been the Who without Moon. But then, how many truly unique acts can one find on mainstream radio these days?

i just put live at leeds on the car cd player on my way to the gym early this morning...loud...just to wake me up...young man blues...magic bus ...YEAH!

Back